Windows VNC from Canada to Mac in New York

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Adrifter, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Adrifter macrumors newbie

I am not sure if this is exactly the right forum section for this but...

Hello. I have a bit of an issue and I don't know if there is an easy fix. I have a friend on a windows computer in Canada. She wants to get into my Mac computer in New York. I turned on Apple Remote Desktop and did the password requirement thing. I also turned on my ftp server. When she tries to VNC in with any of her programs, it says she can not connect. NOT that she can't find my computer. It says she can't connect because she doesn't have the correct priviledges or something. I have all my VNC ports open and Didn't think it would be too difficult. I think one of the issues might be that I am on a network router since I live with 3 other dudes at college? I heard rumors that the issue could be because router IPs change, but my IP hasn't changed once since I have attached. Any help you can offer to help this issue would be great. Thanks.

Mike

2. nplima macrumors 6502a

hi

more details on the type of error would be useful, but I'd bet that the solution is configuring your router to do port-forwarding. your computer is probably behind NAT, and the public IP address you can tell your friend is of the router, not of each of the computer on your LAN. if you configure port forwarding, there will be a pair IP+port that will identify your specific computer and this way there can be a point-to-point communication.

you might want to check out another kind of solution, such as using foldershare (www.foldershare.com) for remote access to files on another computer.

3. Adrifter thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I will try that program since all I really wanna do is share a few folders. But I don't know about the port-forwarding. One of my friends said the same thing but I don't know how to do it on a linksys ethernet 4-port Router....Any assistance here would be great. Thanks.

MiKe

4. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Port forwarding should be in your instruction manual. If it isn't, Google is your friend.

5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Your best bet is FTP access.

Create the FTP account for her to use, then make sure that your router, firewall, and OS X firewall are configured properly.

You could put your computer in the DMZ, if I recall, and that'll save you the port forwarding trouble.....

6. Adrifter thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah...see I tried to make an ftp thing happen...I simply turned it on and kept the port free from firewall and it said "access using ftp://<ip address>" or whatever....she tries to connect and it says can't connect wrong password or user name....yet she never got a chance to enter that in anywhere....so I was confused. Sorry with networking I am a real noob.

7. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

That IP address is for your local network, not outside connections.

Use a website like www.whatismyip.com or the like

8. Adrifter thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically what you are telling me...is that if she simple opens a web browser and types ftp:// <IP address from that website> she can access the folders of my computer?.....because that didn't work.

9. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

A web browser cannot do this.

That is why you use an FTP client.

Two different protocols. That sharing preferece panel assumes your associate is using the Finder, on the local network. Disregard it.

10. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

^will open up your linksys enter it's name and passwordmy god i hope you dont leave it at the default!)

go to the application and gaming tab and you will see something like this

[​IMG]

find out what ports you need open, enter them, then click the tab that enables them. I've clicked the enabling tab right off the bat and had probelsm so save your settings first.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Adrifter:
    Don't take this personally, but I don't think you have the experience to do this directly from the Mac. The answers you have been given are each assuming that there is a base of understanding. If you attempt this and don't get it right, then you could be leaving the machine wide open to others on the internet, which you may regret. There are a number of variables, including whether you have a static (or at least long term) IP address provided to your router, and whether the network you are using will even permit this.

If I were you, and if it is just a few folders that are needed access to, I would talk to your service provider about setting up an FTP area on THEIR server, which you and the other machine can have passwords for, and load the files up to there from your machine with an FTP program -- they will be then accessible by each of your to download and upload.

Alternatively there are a variety of file-transfer services, both free and paid, that you could look into.

12. Adrifter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the options I will look into them...I am typically good with computers but as I said...when it comes to networking I am not up to date. I know how to do this **** with airport, but I am all messed up when it came to this ole router. Thanks again. i will letcha know if I get something to work.

13. Adrifter thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. So I think I get the idea of what I need to do. I did some research and found that I think I have a pretty big problem. Looking back at your screen shot and going by what a few websites said....I need to login to my router to change do the port forwarding to allow people in. Well this router in my room actually belongs to a roommate of mine who I hate with a passion. When we were setting it up he said that he "found it" and that he had no information with it, his dad just got it from work. So how do I access a router with a name and password, when I have no idea what the name and password are?

14. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Simple. You Don't.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Use a router that's not stolen? ;)

Well, first try the defaults. Do a Google search for the model number and see if you can download a PDF manual. Maybe the default login/passwords are still active.

The packets are probably being delayed by Canada Customs (they open up packets at random and scan the bits) so don't send any emails referencing the RCMP. ;)

16. Adrifter thread starter macrumors newbie

haha. Its funny you say "stolen" cuz for all I know it is. He said he found it at home covered in dust and thought it would work...it does....but I don't have ANYTHING that goes along with it. He is moving out at the end of semester so I will probably have to get a nice non-stolen one. For now I will try the website and google searches. Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry that I am a noob with a stupid router.

EDIT: Ok, I finally found a password/user combo that works...but the page I get sent to is a bit different than the screen shots I have seen. I forwarded the FTP port (21) to my port on the router on both protocols. Now when my friend tries to connect they get 430 error something. I know there is something more to this...and he is using a free FTP client. Is there a setting I need to change or more to do with the connection of the external IP? any suggestions?

FINAL EDIT: I figured it out! I had one of my other friends try it out. After downloading SmartFTP we got it to work. The other one he had wouldn't. I had to adjust some of the Ports and change a setting to passive FTP...anywayz I got it working for him at least, which means it will most likely work the same way for my other friend...so its all good. Thanks for all the help.