Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
Im trying to explain to my dad the pros and "cons" about switching over to apple. He seems to be worried that he wont be able to do everything he does now on a new MacBook.

All he does is internet browsing, quicken and MS Office; all of which OS X can do.

Have any of yall run into any compadibility problems using Apple?

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I constantly keep a vitural windows open on my mac because I have programs i use in there that still arent for mac yet. Let him keep windows if thats all he does, why does he have to spend 1k+ on a new computer just to internet & word?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
With Office 2011 on the Mac, most of the Office compatibility issues have been minimized

Web browsing is a wash... just choose a browser, but it won't be IE

Quicken on the other hand can be an issue
Last I heard you still could not export over from Windows to Mac

However, I have to ask... if he is happy with a Windows PC, why are you urging him to switch?

endless17

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Your father can do everything he needs to do for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Macbook.

As much as I love my MBP and OSX in general, I agree. It may not be worth the hassle to have him learn an entirely new platform and desktop paradigm for little gain if his usage is so slight. Factor in the cost increase and, well, there you go.

Why not bring him to an Apple store and let him try the OS beforehand? If he seems willing to learn, and doesn't mind the price premium, then by all means.

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
I am not urging him, you guys are getting the wrong idea. He always seems to run into issues on his computer, such as spyware and malware **** downloading scareware viruses. He is always finding weird stuff running in the background. Running anti-virus programs doesn't do his computer to well.

His current laptop is about 11 years old and is on its last legs.

He is sick of it and he wants a mac. He is just a little concerned with running into issues emailing documents from a Mac to a Windows machine.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You can direct him to the APple site that shows you everything.

Apple computers come with more software for you to use right out the box. The difference is that on a Mac its more user friendly. Now you will have text editor on both PC&Mac. Mac has software included so that you can run Windows. :eek: It has Exchange Support.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Really you don't have to run Windows on a Mac. You can use iWorks which is just as good as Windows. I was just helping a kid who has a Mac. He needed to print his work on a PC. NP changed his Mac document (save as) a Word Doc.

Their aren't any cons. More pros like its cheaper. One of my fav features is how OSX searches the web for a driver for your printer. You don't have to install all those drivers. It looks for the ones you need. With one click I was up and running my wireless printer.

Your dad is stuck with all those rumors that you can't do anything on a Mac. You can do more. A lot more. I've been using Macs and PC for over 20yrs and right now Macs is my go to machine. Its my do all computer. I'm now converting all of my friends to macs ;)

endless17

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
So long as he buys Office 2011 (which is great, btw), he should have near 100% compatibility with Windows for core documents. If he's willing to learn a new OS, then by all means.

Windows - PC compatibility is the best it has ever been for the major apps.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Much as I love Mac, it isn't for everyone. There is a learning curve in switching over from a Windows environment. Not all Windows programs have a Mac equivalent. You can usually find a reasonable, sometimes better sometimes worse, replacement, but compatibility of file types can be an issue.

The important question is what will work best for him. Mac works best for me, but Win 7 is a solid OS IMO, the best MS has offered, well, ever. (Maybe because it's the most Mac like!:D).

kidaquarius

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Detroit
His current rig is 11 years old? Damn.
He's stone age right now.

Do you have a Mac? Let him use your's and see if he can make the adjustment.

If he does, enjoys the MacOS environment and has some grown-up spending money, yeah, get the Mac.

If he plans on keeping this computer for 11 years, the extra cost for the Mac will spread itself out.
All good.

[sent from my android]

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
Im trying to explain to my dad the pros and "cons" about switching over to apple. He seems to be worried that he wont be able to do everything he does now on a new MacBook.

All he does is internet browsing, quicken and MS Office; all of which OS X can do.

Have any of yall run into any compadibility problems using Apple?

with what you just wrote down here there is no reason for him to get a ma unless he likes the build of the mac books but he can save alot of money getting a netbook + tablet or laptop + tablet combo

endless17

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
And the jump in security and usability from Win XP to Win 7 is massive, especially once people are transitioned away from Internet Explorer to Chrome.

Personally, I've switched my mom from Win XP to Ubuntu, which wasn't so bad considering how much linux can be configured to mimic Windows' desktop paradigm. All she uses it for is email, web browsing and basic document printing, which Ubuntu handles like a champ.

Of course, I have zero fears of her getting a virus, so my upkeep has mainly consisted of running software update every month or so when i visit ;)

YMMV of course.

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
I use both OSX and Win 7 everyday on my machines, they both have their pros/cons. Based upon his needs he can get a nice sub-$1000 laptop with Windows 7 which I find to be quite good. Just be sure to uninstall the usual bloatware that comes with it. Install Microsoft Security Essentials (free from Microsoft's website) and he should be good.

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Quicken 2007 gave me a little bit of grief when trying to get it to download from my bank's website. It wouldn't recognize the file formats that were the appropriate version for 2007. All of a sudden it decided to open the file after I moved it out of the "Download" folder.

Other than that, everything else runs similar to a Windows machine except OS X is far more stable than my Windows 7 machine. Every "upgrade" creates a new problem. First, it killed all my USB ports on the front of the machine. Then that was fixed with a new patch, and then the computer wouldn't boot. It took a previous restore to get the computer to function again. Windows makes me pull my hair out at work at least once a week.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
MBA is a very expensive netbook. There is no need for that.

Why do people buy them then? 99% of users simply surf the web, send some email and listen to itunes. Almost no one needs the power of professional computers which is why apple has a separate line, the MBP's.
I see the air as a high end netbook, which is perfectly fine. You pay a price for quality design.

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
Why do people buy them then? 99% of users simply surf the web, send some email and listen to itunes. Almost no one needs the power of professional computers which is why apple has a separate line, the MBP's.
I see the air as a high end netbook, which is perfectly fine. You pay a price for quality design.

You summed it up right there. It is a premium product.

A Kia does everything I would ask of it, but I would never own one. We all have to balance what we want/need and can afford. The OP's father needs to decide if an Apple and a new operating system is what he wants.

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
+1 on design.

Even my Asus netbook with an Atom processor left much to be desired. Then throw Windows XP or another version on it, it leaves a lot to be desired. It now sits in a travel case somewhere around the house never being used.

The MBA is definitely beyond the Netbook class in CPU/GPU, OS, screen size, and SSD comparisons.

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
In the longer run, it really depends on how much $ he wants to spend. He can either get a netbook like wat other posters are saying or if he really wants, a nice new macbook.

I switched in 2008, and the initial learning curve wasn't that bad, at least for me.

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
If he buys a MBA and keeps it for 11 years, it will certainly earn the reverence of Mac users throughout the universe.

But at the end of the day, the choice is his, and its a personal choice that no one else can make for him. The learning curve is gentle, and stability of OS X will quickly make itself apparent as opposed to Windows XP, Vista, or 7.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
he'll be fine with a cheap netbook

he'd love the HP dm1z. yeah yeah I know some of you guys are gonna say "oh helllzzz naww **** hp" but the dm1z is actually a very very nice netbook and an incredible deal. only $450 and honestly it performed almost as well as my mba 11. It also has been winning the editors choice award for a lot of tech news sites in case you're worried.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
I am not urging him, you guys are getting the wrong idea. He always seems to run into issues on his computer, such as spyware and malware **** downloading scareware viruses. He is always finding weird stuff running in the background. Running anti-virus programs doesn't do his computer to well.

His current laptop is about 11 years old and is on its last legs.

He is sick of it and he wants a mac. He is just a little concerned with running into issues emailing documents from a Mac to a Windows machine.

dude for an AV just install microsoft security essentials. it's a free antivirus right from microsoft and it's great.

go check out the dm1z I mentioned earlier. Engadget and other sites have done reviews on it and I think you'll be impressed. it's the best bang for your buck machine out there imo

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
I don't think to highly of windows 7. My girlfriend just got a Dell in July 2010 and it has already turned sluggish. Not to mention it feels like it is constructed out of cheap plastics. I cant believe the quality of the products companies put out today.

Going from XP to Windows 7 is almost like going from XP -> OS X, except OS X works right and you don't have to fine tune anything.

From my experience, with a Windows machine, you are always having to adjust and tinker with the system. With Apple, it just works. Thus the reason I suggested to him he get an Apple. They are much easier for use in my opinion and I dont think he'd have all the annoying little "WTF does this mean" moments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.