Windows Web Safe Colours.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by smilinmonki666, May 12, 2010.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Hi Web Developers,

I’m creating a web site for a client and have only just found a year later, that windows, no matter what browser, falls back to a web safe colour. I have tried an image, but it still falls back to a web safe colour.

Am I missing something? I have tried on 3 different machines, 2 XP & 1 Vista? I need this colour to work...?

On OS X it works perfect?

2. Glial macrumors member

It's 2010 bud, no need to use web safe colors anymore. Those were for back in the day when monitors only displayed 256 colors. Just go with the sRGB color space and you'll be fine.

3. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

I’ve tried this but its not allowing me to do so. Could it be the doc type?

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Can you explain more fully what you mean? I'm not sure I understand the problem...

Its worth bearing in mind that Windows will always show colours slightly differently than Macs. It's an OS level difference.

Maybe you can show us the site you're talking about so that we can test it out for you and see the problem?

If not, maybe you can think browser differences?

Is the problem with a colour that's within an image? declared as a css property in rgb, hex, or other type?

Not saying I can help, but more info would certainly make it more likely someone can :)

/Doug

5. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

the link is royalaoak.wukkiweb.co.uk

The background at the moment is a png, but tried to use the hex & rgb. Its not that its a slight color difference, its a different color.

Cheers

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Sorry, I get 403 forbidden for royalaoak.wukkiweb.co.uk :(

7. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Lets all try http://royaloak.wukkiweb.co.uk/ until the original poster gets back to us. It probably was a typo.

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Ah, well there you go :) teaches me for not reading the link.

smilinmonki666 - Have tested via browsershots.org and Adobe Browserlabs. Am I right at least in thinking its http://royaloak.wukkiweb.co.uk/css/images/layout/main.png where the problem is? That section at least, not the actual image.

[​IMG]

What browsers are you testing in and across what operating systems?
    How did you create the image?
    What hex value did you try?
    The more details the better...

Very puzzling.

9. cromwell64 macrumors regular

what color is it defined as and what color does it render as on windows? have you verified that it is indeed a different color and not just difference in how the OS displays it?

10. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi guys,

First, thank you.

& it was a typo, www.royaloak.wukkiweb.co.uk.

I originally tried it on 2 windows machines, 1 vista Desktop & 1 XP Laptop. I then tried it on my CP machine at work, & perfect. Colours are fine?!?

If I use it with the HEX it still shows weird on my laptop. Going to install XP on my Mac with Parallels later. I’m a bit anal when it comes to this as I want it as close to perfect for my clients. Could it be the Drivers or Colour profiles on the actual machines? I’ve updated my Xp as much as possible?!
    what color is it defined as and what color does it render as on windows? have you verified that it is indeed a different color and not just difference in how the OS displays it?

-cromwell64: the colour changes completely, it does what Adobe does on my Mac when I select the colour & then select 'Web Colours’. I know about the discrepancy on different OS, but its a complete difference in colour, but thank you for pointing out. :)

11. cromwell64 macrumors regular

I just checked the site and the colors are the same colors as verified by the hex values. You can use colorzilla in firefox to verify this.

the difference is just the way windows displays colors and the fact that most users do not set up a decent color profile on their machines. it looks dramatically different to me too on windows, but the colors are not being forced into a color safe palette. they still have the exact same hex values.

EDIT: there isn't a lot you can do to fix this, some colors will just look noticeably different across platforms.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The best you can do is calibrate your mac display to a default install of Windows (it'll still look like it does on Macs, but if you're targeting Windows users it should work in that regard).