Windows with Boot Camp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tadaas, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Tadaas macrumors newbie

I plan to install windows using boot camp on my new iMac and have a number of questions:
    My iMac is the new one with thunderbolt, it has the SSD with 220 Gb free and a HD with 1.5 Gb free. I do not plan do use windows a lot just a couple of games that are not on the Mac.

1)What are the advantages of installing the Windows Premium or Ultimate over the normal Home version.

2) Which disk should I put windows on, the SSD or the HD? How larger should I make the partition?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. dXTC, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

1. Premium and Ultimate may take advantage of the extra processor cores. Home versions of Windows tend to utilize only one or two processor cores. (Your Mileage May Vary, though.)

2. Whichever one has more free, provided Boot Camp allows you to use it. If there's room for your games and room to spare for your OS X installation, I'd go for the SSD.

Keep in mind: Your particular iMac model will only accept Windows 7. XP and Vista drivers are not provided on the install disc that came with your iMac, and the older OS's will not be supported. (I found this out from the Apple support site, when I was exploring the possibility with my wife's new Thunderbolt-equipped iMac the other day. I have a feeling that'll be true going forward as well.)

EDIT: I'd recommend 60 GB of total space. That should be enough for the OS and a couple of games, and falls within the normal FAT32 filesystem limit (you'll need to use FAT32 during your Windows install if you want to read and write directly to the Windows partition from OS X). Your music and videos are better handled on the Mac side of things, so no need for room there.

3. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito