Windows WMA files transferred to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by baylinerman, Oct 27, 2010.

1. baylinerman macrumors newbie

I have successfully transferred all my music from windows to my new iMac, but I am unable to drag and drop them into iTunes. I was told before purchasing that this would be no problem. I can play all the tracks individually but it uses Quicktime to play them. Am I missing something? How can I get them across to iTunes?

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

What GGJStudios said.

The gist of the second thread GGJ linked: the best way to handle this is to have converted all your WMAs to AAC files using iTunes for Windows before transferring them to your new Mac. The OS X version of iTunes cannot read WMA; the Windows version can, though.

I would like to make an additional recommendation: Any songs or albums that you have on CD and really, really like, you should re-rip them from the CD in iTunes on OS X instead of converting from WMA.

Why? It's all about a process called transcoding. When iTunes for Windows converts WMA to AAC or MP3, there will be additional sound quality loss. WMA is a "lossy" format; when you saved your music as WMA, Windows "threw away" subtle sound information for the sake of file size. Normally, WMA is OK but not great at this. AAC and MP3 are also both lossy, and converting any lossy source file (transcoding) to another lossy format means that more sound quality gets sacrificed, especially compared to the original uncompressed source. If you started out with only 128K WMA, the resulting AAC or MP3 files may be noticeably muffled or muddy.

So, for those songs/albums you really like, re-rip them from the CD if you have it. Then you can convert and transfer over a few of the songs you're not so picky about. Listen to them side by side and see whether the difference is enough to consider re-ripping what you can from the CDs you have.