Windows wont see 4GB Ram

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mikee1979, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mikee1979 macrumors newbie

I recently installed an extra 2GB RAM in my mac but when I run it in windows mode it will only see 2GB. After looking around on the interent about the problem I'm seem to read too conflicting views that XP can or can't see 4GB RAM. If it can see 4GB how do I go about making it see it?

Thanks.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

The main issue here (apparently) is sometimes XP can'nt address that much RAM.

Try turning off the pagefile and rebooting...

If that doesn't solve it, come back to us.

Apparently, the x64 version can handle up to 12Gb, but I'm not sure how supported it is on teh Macs.

edit: see this thread for more info... aah, the beauty of searching :p

3. sp!tf!re macrumors newbie

The 32-bit version Windows does not and won't ever support more than 3GB of memory. However, it should display more than 2GB. What Mac do you have?

4. mikee1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the reply, I have a mac pro 2.66. Having it display 3GB would be better than 2GB, is there anything i need to do to get it to display 3GB. I will try turning off the pagefile and see what that will do.

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

The memory you are missing is the same kind of memory everyone using 32 bit computers is missing. We Mac users know it as Wired Memory. Want to read more?