Windows workgroups no longer seen

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by siwsan, Jul 7, 2011.

1. siwsan macrumors newbie

In SL, active computers in my Windows workgroup (which my Mac was a part of) were seen in the left side of the Finder window. In Lion GM they are gone, but it's possible to SMB-mount the Windows shares manually with Command-K (or from the menu) - which of course only works IF the name of the computers and shares are known and IF it's known that the Windows computers are actually active.

In Lion, the automatic listing of active workgroup members is nowhere to be found. Has this functionality been removed (a.k.a. "another enhanced feature") in Lion??? If so Lion must be Apple's Chernobyl... :(

2. hhpss macrumors newbie

It actually kind of works now, but only very slow and limited.

For example I can still see a laptop that was disconnected nearly 1 hour ago.

Is this a known bug?
    Did Apple say anything about this at any point?

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This has been my experience of SAMBA in both Leopard and Snow Leopard.

It's very erratic at "discovering" computers on the network. As you say, connecting to them manually works fine, but it's quite hard to get them to show up in Finder.

As you note, sometimes computers that aren't on the network will still show up (often the Windows side of my MacBook shows in Finder after I reboot back into OS X!)

It seems especially bad after the computer has come out of sleep mode.

If you can, I'd recommend making Aliases for your most commonly accessed shares, although I appreciate that might not always be possible.

4. hhpss macrumors newbie

Under SL I plugged in the network cable and all the shares just "popped up".
    No need to specify the "Workgroup"-name or anything.

Even when I accidentally removed the cable it only took a minute max to come up with the little warning dialog that the share was gone.

Now it's just a big PITA.

I will try the hint with the alias for now...

Cheers