windows x64 vista on unibody macbook???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bimmerfreak0, Sep 25, 2009.

1. bimmerfreak0 macrumors member

I have the "collectors edition" macbook unibody....2.4ghz 4gb ram, 250gb hdd. On apples website it states that x64 is compatible with the new 13" pro but not mine...i didn't think there was any difference really besides firewire and a sd car reader....is it possible to install x64 vista via bootcamp or not??? I need to have vista on my laptop for "Examsof" for lawschool and parallels is not allowed. Any help????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. bimmerfreak0 thread starter macrumors member

i am running leopard 10.5 right now also, would updating to snow leopard fix this into a possibility or not make a lick of difference?

3. bimmerfreak0 thread starter macrumors member

one more thing...i am worried about installing x86 vista (32-bit) because i have 4gb of ram and I know that 32 only supports up to 3gb....right???:confused:

Is that an issue?

4. bimmerfreak0 thread starter macrumors member

if it helps any the tech dept. gave me vista enterprise edition...no freaking media center:mad:

5. mac2x macrumors 65816

Look at "About this Mac" in the Apple menu and see if you have a Core 2 Duo processor...if you do there shouldn't be any reason why the 64-bit OS won't work.

6. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Yes and No

I believe what he's referring to is the fact that up until snow leopard apple only included 64-bit support for bootcamp in the pro line of notebooks even when a regular macbook had a 64-bit processor. They also only include 32-bit windows drivers with the regular macbook. I believe they changed this with Snow Leopard however and supported x64 windows through bootcamp on all core 2 macs

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

OK, thanks...wasn't aware of that. Learn something every day! :) :apple:

8. bimmerfreak0 thread starter macrumors member

um ok so i got vista ultimate installed but its using generic drivers for mostly everything....i can't even find a driver for the nic, wireless and something else:confused:....additionally i put in both of my leopard disks (the Mac OSX install disk and the Mac Applications Install Disk) and the only autorun option was for a dvd sharing utility for the macbook air:confused::confused::confused: now im really confused....how or where can i get drivers for my computer that are compatible...at least the nic and wireless

9. vexatia macrumors regular

I'm having this problem on my MBP. I assumed that the problem arose from my failure to install a version of XP with SP2 installed. I opened my bootcamp partition in VMWare and installed SP2, as well as the x64 drivers on the SnowLeopard disk and restarted in XP in boot camp. Although the Bootcamped XP shows SP2 installed, still no internet connection and the touch pad doesn't work properly. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced windows license and will reinstall (with SP2 already in XP).

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

It's a weird problem that has been around since Leopard. A post I recently made here should help you:

11. daisun macrumors newbie

To install 64bit windows drivers from the SL install dvd on a Macbook do the following:

Install 64bit version of windows using bootcamp assist

Insert Snow Leopard dvd, it'll try and auto run. If you tell the installer to install the drivers it'll say 64bit drivers aren't supported on your machine etc. To get around this, if you've installed vista or windows 7 64bit, open the start menu type 'cmd' right click the 'command prompt' shortcut and choose 'run as administrator' then type the following commands (assuming the dvd drive with the SL dvd in it is the 'D' drive):

D:
    cd Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\
    BootCamp64.exe

This should allow you to install the boot camp drivers and utility for your unibody macbook! Enjoy!

12. vexatia macrumors regular

Will this work for xp64?

13. daisun macrumors newbie

This will also work for xp64. But the exact process of telling windows to run as administrator may be different.