Windows XP 32-bit on New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jpcho83, Oct 20, 2008.

1. jpcho83 macrumors newbie

Hey there guys... my new macbook pro is on the way, and I am excited to finally be using a mac... been using windows forever but I couldn't resist...

In any case, I am curious (as I have not recieved the laptop yet) if anyone has tried installing Windows XP 32-bit on a new macbook pro. What I am most interested in is whether or not it recognizes the full 4 gigs of ram or not...

I have windows XP pro 64 bit but I don't like the OS that much... I'd rather use the 32 bit version... especially since ITunes simply doesn't work with the 64-bit...

anything I should know? I was going to bootcamp... or parallels...and maybe just allocate 2 gigs so I don't have to worry too much... but really I would like to be able to boot XP fully utilizing the ram with the computer...

also, any word on how the new trackpad works with XP? I am wondering if that right click will be recognized in XP...

LMK!

thanks in advance...

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

It's the same as running XP 32-bit on a PC... it simply can't use the full 4G of RAM. To utilize all that RAM, you'd have to use a 64-bit Microsoft OS. You can use your XP 64-bit if you like, but I've heard a whole bunch of horror stories surrounding that one. If you go with 64-bit, I would recommend Vista :)eek:). But you should have at least a few good reasons to install a 64-bit OS if you choose to take that route.

3. Baffles macrumors regular

To be honest, I've found bootcamp sucks. Have to reboot to get Windows, half assed drivers for stuff like the trackpad, etc. I've had a much better user experience running the guest OS in a separate space under VMWare fusion.

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, restarting is a huge pain... I would recommend Parallels Desktop over vmWare fusion though.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

Windows XP via Bootcamp recognizes 3GB on my new MBP 2.53Ghz. And I recommend Fusion over Parallels, for many reasons (stability being the most important).

6. jpcho83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys... I think I will end up parallels-ing or fusioning XP... I agree, I hate XP 64-bit... and so far, my experience with Vista is sooo limited that it scares me... lol... but I need to program VBA macros in excel, lol...

whew...

dunno much about either fusion or parallels... but has there been some kind of comparative analysis somewhere that goes in-depth?

Thanks again