Windows XP 32bit/64bit on any Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColdAsIce, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ColdAsIce macrumors newbie

Im due to been soon Graduating University and for the purpose due to me starting a new job i am looking to buy a powerful laptop using it for the obviously email typing documents etc. Ive also enrolled on a Photoshop course along with learning some Video through Pinnacle though FCP is way better than this. I will be playing some games and wanted to ask for an recommendation of what would be better as i will need windows i will use Bootcamp does it really matter if the operating system is 32/64bit because leopard uses both obviously one may be slower and the other may use mpre CPU. Vista is a no no XP is kinda of reliable and will do what is needed.

Any recommendations, obviously the price tag needs to be justified and will one get warmer than the other etc. Not really sure sorry for mentioning Windows in a Mac forum just curious not really sure what to do.

With regards to the MBP is there rumors of any changes etc.

2. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Hello, Xp 32-bit is 100% compatible running bootcamp and runs well! XP 64-bit as it was never a mainstream OS will have driver problems although you may be able to get the graphics driver from elsewhere.

On your comment on Vista i have used XP 32BIT XP 64BIT VISTA 32BIT and VISTA 64BIT on my Macbook Pro and i have to say out of all of them the most relable 64BIT operating system was VISTA but the most relable 32BIT system was XP. Vista 64bit is much, much more reliable than its 32bit counterpart and as well as that all new Macbook Pros include drivers for Vista 64bit on the system disk supplyed with them unlike XP 64BIT.

Overall i can understand you concern about Vista but in the long term in may be you only Windows option and as much as i can see all the XP is so much faster storys if you think about it of corse XP will run faster its an older OS which is intender to work on older machines which have much smaller processors, graphics cards etc. Much like Tiger is faster than Leopard.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I am told Boot Camp does not formally support Windows XP 64-bit (as in it does not include drivers for the Macintosh hardware). You can go searching for the drivers yourself, but if you want to just toss in the Leopard DVD and have it do the work for you, then it's Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows Vista 64-bit.

That being said, since a MacBook (Pro) will not address more then 4GB of physical RAM, there is no need to run 64-bit Windows. So I recommend you just use Windows XP 32-bit.

4. joewop macrumors newbie

Cisco VPN

I just want to not in here that if you have any reason to use the Cisco VPN client that I had major issues with 64 bit versions of Windows. There really is no reason to go to 64 bit windows either unless you are truly going to give over 3GB of RAM.

5. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

That would be my recommendation, too. The Boot Camp documentation states that you should use the 32 bit version of XP. Nevertheless, when I first tried to install XP in the Boot Camp partition of my MacBook Pro, I carelessly attempted to use the 64 bit version and it choked. I had not the slightest trouble with the 32 bit version, though. I got it up and running with little hassle, although I soon quit Boot Camp and moved to VMware Fusion.

6. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Macbook Pro (Santa Rosa) can support up to 8gb when 4gb chips are released!!

7. Heil68 macrumors member

From what I've read BootCamp does not support Vista 64bit.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually the slots don't support the chips, so it wouldn't work.

9. duykur macrumors regular

THIS website begs to differ

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I've been running Vista 32bit on this macbook pro and it runs pretty well. The only thing that stinks is that it runs HOT, fans always going.

I'm curious if XP 32bit would running cooler.

11. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I run XP 32 bit in the Fusion partition on my MacBook Pro and don’t notice that it runs any hotter, if as hot, as OS X does. That said, I don’t usually make as many demands on XP as I do OS X.

12. kwfl macrumors 6502

well,

this is good news if true.
    the only thing i am worried about, did the ibook really used 4GB of ram, or it just recognized it without using it.

13. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Support for Vista 64bit has been added in the New Mac Pro's and Macbook Pro's! Trust me i have tested it, all the drivers are now compatible with 64bit Vista which came on my new Macbook Pro's install disk! Dont know about the normal Macbook yet but that is bound to follow suit.