Windows XP 64 bit [on MacBook Pro]

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lickitysplit, Sep 26, 2010.

1. lickitysplit macrumors regular

My new 2010 15" i7 is on route to me and I'm trying to decide which version of Windows I want to bootcamp with. On my mid 2008 pro I used Windows XP because I only had 2gb of ram. But since my new pro has 4 gigs of ram i would be losing out of some memory since xp can only register 3.5gbs. So I was wondering if anyone has experienced using xp 64 on the new macbooks, or if the bootcamp drivers will even work with that operating system since it didn't really have any support. I would rather use xp than 7 since i have a desktop that i use as a media center/ gaming pc already, and the extras that 7 offers arent necessary on my pro. Thanks

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Uhm, XP 64bit can address as much ram as you have in it. Your talking about a 32bit os. THe max xp can see is 4gb, unless memory is being shared with the IGP, which it isnt. Windows 7 is faster than XP in Games.

3. lickitysplit thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I was saying that 64bit can read all the memory my computer will have, but 32bit xp will not read 4gbs of ram. Ill probably end up just installing 7 64bit since it will probably be hasle free.

4. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I would do the same. I've never had much luck with Windows XP 64-bit. It's harder to find drivers and compatible software for it.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I strongly recommend against using XP 64bit.
    It is hardly supported by software and drivers, and even if, the software is poorly written which causes unexpected problems.

Although I don't like Win7 (mostly because of the inconvenient user interface) I recommend using it rather than XP.
    Much better supported both driver and software wise. It runs pretty darn good.

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Don't know what Apple's driver support is, but XP 64 is notoriously bad in the general PC market for driver support. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole.

Seriously, go for Windows 7 64-bit you'll have far more compatibility and just because it has features you won't use doesn't make it worthwhile. The Spotlight-esque search features are a major improvement, it's got far better troubleshooting tools etc. Plus MS has pretty much stopped supporting XP.

Alternative would be to run Parallels/VMware Fusion/Virtual Box, run standard XP through that and assign 1-2GB to the virtual machine.

7. lickitysplit thread starter macrumors regular

Well I used XP 64 on one of my desktops for quite a while and I never experienced a single problem with it(less problems than 32bit at the time for me), thats why I was considering it with my new pro. But I highly doubt bootcamp drivers will support it.

I need to have an actual partition on there because I will be playing games on the partition so a vitual machine is no good for me.

Looks like I'm just going to stick with 7 64bit.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Apple does not support XP 64 on any Mac. The only way you can get it to run is in a VM.

B

9. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Get Windows 7 64-bit. It really is a great upgrade from XP. I haven't met one person that said that they don't like Windows 7, and nearly all the students in the ECE department at my college have upgraded because of Vista. I don't know a single person with Vista anymore.