Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Ok - I don't really understand the Windows activation scheme but my question is this. . .If I buy a full XP SP2 disc can I then install it for use in Bootcamp (dual boot for gaming) and then also install it for Parallels - will I need to re-activate it and get new keys or what? Is one copy enough as I will only be using one at a time and it is the same machine. . .?

Thanks
Adam

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
I had a problem with the crazy activation thingie. When the whole onmac.net solution was posted I ran out and bought a copy of XP PRO SP2 and had a nice dual boot setup. Then Apple released Boot Camp, so I formatted my drive and tried that. Worked great, except when I went to register it(again), I got a message that said my copy had been already activated (by the onmac.net solution) :( So I used a CD Key from my Dell. :eek: all is working fine now. However, I was not expecting to have any problems activating it on the same machine.

Others may have more to offer, just my 2 cents:p

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
acrafton said:
Ok - I don't really understand the Windows activation scheme but my question is this. . .If I buy a full XP SP2 disc can I then install it for use in Bootcamp (dual boot for gaming) and then also install it for Parallels - will I need to re-activate it and get new keys or what? Is one copy enough as I will only be using one at a time and it is the same machine. . .?

Thanks
Adam

So you get three free "no questions asked" activations before you have to call MS and explain why you need to activate again. It's worth noting that I have done the same as you are proposing to do, with an XP installation previously used for my PC (now out of garbage-collectors, WOOT!).

I had to call MS with the Parallels installation (it was the 4th), and I just explained I had been moving a lot of hardware around, they said fine (as they should, it's only installed on one computer... twice... but you know, not at the same time!).

So, does it conform to the strict terms of use? Probably not. Do MS care if you are only running one at a time? Probably not.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Yeh, and when you call Microsoft on the four time, just tell them you've had to reformat and reinstall your PC repeatedly because it became unusuable due to spyware and viruses. They'll completely understand ;-)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Gee said:
Yeh, and when you call Microsoft on the four time, just tell them you've had to reformat and reinstall your PC repeatedly because it became unusuable due to spyware and viruses. They'll completely understand ;-)
That's what I say. Works every time :D

Actually now it's all automated, except if you call them back several times they make you talk to a live rep. But so far all the one's I've talked to appear to be from India and they could care less what you're trying to do.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Weird, I've moved my XP Home SP2 license from a Toshiba Notebook to a White Box PC to my iMac and not had any trouble just activating over the 'net it from the installer? Am I just lucky?

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.