windows xp and airport extreme (rounded one) connected, but cant browse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Picky45, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Picky45 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have windows xp on a laptop, it shows I have a wireless connection with the older airport, but when I go to browse, IE or chrome won't load websites. I've tried updating everything and enabling wireless zero configuration, to no avail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Are there other computers connected to the wireless? If so, it's probably the laptop.

Check for DHCP on the client:
    Go to Start -> Control Panel. Open the Network Connections panel. You may need to switch to Classic View to make this easier, I don't recall what it's buried under in the helpful view. You should see the Wireless Connection there. Right-click it and choose Properties. In the middle of the window that pops up, double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). On the General tab that pops up both options should be set to "Obtain...".

If it is set this way or you changed it and it still isn't working (give it a minute if the settings were wrong), keep going and...

Check for DHCP on the router:
    Go to Start -> Run. Type CMD and press Enter. This will launch the command prompt. Type ipconfig and press enter. This will tell you how your network interfaces are configured. If the Wireless connection IP Address starts with 169.254 then the router didn't provide it an address. A typical wireless router is set up to offer 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x addresses.

If the router didn't provide an address, you could fiddle with settings, or you can reset the router. You'll need a paper clip and 30 seconds to do that.

If you can give us a little more info, it'll make solving the problem easier.

3. Picky45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. There are other computers connected and working with the airport.
    I check the Internet Protocol and it was set to obtain

this is what it says when in ipconfig

connection-specific DNS Suffix. :
    ip address: 10.0.1.4
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 10.0.1.1

4. Picky45 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I ran the diagnostic from IE, the log states, under "Network Adapter Diagnostic"
    info Network location could not be detected
    action User input required: select network location
    info using home internet connection

5. Picky45 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I'm at work it has no problem browsing. The proxy is set up for work. Would that make a difference at home?

I hope this helps. Thanks in advance for your help!

6. oculus42 macrumors 6502

You will need to disable the proxy in Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings to browse. Chrome also uses the same proxy settings as IE. If you have FireFox, it uses different proxy settings in preferences of its own.

7. Picky45 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to browse by disabling the proxy. Thanks so much for your help!
    Would I be able to simply use Firefox at home so I don't have to switch the proxy on and off?