Windows XP BIOS access?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Apfelweie, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Apfelweie macrumors newbie

To activate a port I would like to gain access to the BIOS part of my MacBook Pro running Windows XP (the device manager does not show any Ports and I suspect that I have to enter the BIOS to activate them).
    I tried the different Windows options such as Delete/F1/F2/F10 during Windows start, nut none of them work...

Any ideas as how to gain access to the BIOS :confused:

2. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

There is no bios on Apple computers. It's not a window thing either, it's a motherboard maker thing.

3. c1phr macrumors 6502

The above poster got it exactly. The BIOS you're referring to is an embedded piece of software that runs on the motherboard between Windows and your hardware. Hence, it does not actually exist as part of Windows. Mac's do not have BIOS, but rather their form of EFI. Your issue sounds like a driver problem though. Have you installed the newest Bootcamp drivers for your machine?

4. Apfelweie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answers guys.
    I know there is no BIOS on the Mac... but I'm using Windows XP and trying to access the BIOS in Windows whilst using it on the Mac in order to configure the ports?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think there is any way to access a computer's BIOS from within Windows on any computer.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which ports specifically are you referring to?

Macs don't have serial ports, parallel ports, or any of those kind of things? Only USB. Is USB not working?

Can you be more specific as to what it is you are trying to do?

In every OS since XP, the BIOS only serves to get the machine booted and then is overridden by XPs own drivers.

B

7. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

A bios is completely different and separate from the OS. Windows has no control over the bios, ever.

8. Apfelweie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

To elaborate, I want to use my old Flight Simulator Panel from Elite (AP-1000) which used to work on my previous hard drive.
    Starting Windows XP and then the Elite program, I'm presented with a "no port available, please choose one" window. A list of ports numbered from 1 to 8 is presented, but none of them can be selected as they are greyed out. So it looks like to me that Windows does not have access to the USB port where the device is plugged in.
    I have now downloaded several Bootcamp updates and will try, as soon as my thight schedule permits, to install them...

To be continued :apple:

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

After researching the item you're trying to connect, it states that it only has serial connectivity.

If you're using a serial to usb converter you'll need to download and install the drivers for it.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And if you can't find the right drivers, consider buying one of these high quality converters http://www.tripplite.com/cables/usb-adapters-/en/3914 they work great and have excellent OS support.

B

11. Apfelweie thread starter macrumors newbie

:) problem SOLVED!

Thanks guys, specially to balamw and Darth.Titan

Like you all stated, nothing to BIOS around... just installed the UC-232a driver for the serial-USB converter and it works like a charm ;)