Windows XP, Boot Camp and partitions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DustinAK, Jan 19, 2013.

1. DustinAK macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook with OSX 10.7.5. I bought it in 2008, with 10.5 installed I think. Last year I upgraded the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB and got 10.7.

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

I wanted to try a PC game through Boot Camp, so I found a good deal on an XP disk, http://trinitysoftwaredistribution....nge_low=&range_high= &srch_code=1&srch_name=1

It says in bold, "This Windows based product will install a full version of Windows XP on a Mac partition using Bootcamp."

So I just got the disk and it's not working for some reason. Apparently, I didn't notice my version of boot camp is designed to work with Windows 7 or higher, which would have been significantly more expensive. But I found multiple sites that say I can get around that and still install XP. They say I just need to create a partition big enough for what I want to do and reboot the computer with the new partition and the XP disk. I know disk utility can partition my HD, but it sounds like it would erase everything on the HD in the process, which I don't want. I have more than enough extra space to fit the partition. Is there a way to create the partition without erasing my current files?

2. Quad5Ny, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Edit: Before you do anything BACKUP your data!

Go through the Boot Camp Assistant steps, then with the XP CD inserted Restart and hold down the Option key before the Apple logo (you should see Windows listed).

As for the Windows XP Boot Camp drivers, if your MacBook is from 2008 then they will be on your original OS X DVD.

Also your Mac should be able to be upgraded with 4GB of RAM, 2x 2GB (possibly 8GB on some models).