Windows XP Boot camp - drivers didn't install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AmbiSinistrous, Jun 13, 2011.

1. AmbiSinistrous macrumors newbie

After I finished installing Windows XP SP2 on my Macbook Pro, I fed it the installation DVD that's supposed to have all the drivers and stuff on it. It appeared to install fine, but then I noticed things weren't working that should have: trackpad doesn't respond to single-tap clicking, I can't control volume using F10-F12, and I just noticed that the speakers in the computer actually can't play sound. I suspect other things don't work too, I just haven't tried everything yet. I tried putting the installation DVD back in to see if it would give me a way to fix this, but now the Windows part of my computer refuses to acknowledge that it's in there. (I can see the disk when I log onto the Macintosh part of the computer.)

(Somewhere along the line, I downloaded SP3, if that's relevant, but I had all these problems before I did that and just ignored it until I realized I had no sound, so I don't think it is...)

:( Please help. I just wanna play LoL.

2. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

3. AmbiSinistrous, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

AmbiSinistrous thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it in July 2010, it was all Snow Leopardy and stuff when I installed it.

Edit: Device Manager has concerned yellow exclamation marks next to
    -DVD/CD-ROM drives (HL-DT-ST-DVDRW GS23N)
    -Sound, video and game controllers (Cirrus Logic CS4206A AB13; NVIDIA High Definition Audio listed three times)
    and a bunch of other stuff I don't really care about. So I guess that's why it won't read the OSX installation DVD anymore... How do I fix this?

4. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Whilst I may be wrong on this, I don't believe your Mac officially supports Windows XP. (I know 2011's for sure don't, not 100% on 2010's.)

You can try doing a google search for the correct drivers for your hardware.

If you haven't got much into it yet, maybe try doing a clean install of Windows. Especially if you say you got the SL DVD to work once in Windows and then it stopped. If it happens again, we can narrow it down a little.

There's really no reason Device Manager should show a yellow exclamation point for the DVD drive, rarely do they have driver issues.

5. AmbiSinistrous thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhh right, I can do that! Reinstalled Windows XP, everything works fine now. I have no clue what I did differently this time, but I'm not complaining. Thank you very much, SideStepSociety! <3

6. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety