Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prettyenpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
:)

i recently just joined this site in hopes that i could get some answers!
i also just became a mac user, i got a new macbook, and because of college i need to get windows xp...

QUESTION!

In order to use Windows on my mac through the program Boot Camp:

a.) Does the copy of XP have to be legal? I've searched all over the web and no one seems to have a basic yes or no to this. Because if i tried to download it off some website and it won't work, i'd like to know now.

if not i guess i'll just buy it. but if there's a way to get xp on my mac without having to buy the real thing LET ME KNOW PLEASEEE :)

if i don't have to pay another $130 on a program im not going to use after college that would be AMAZING to know.

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUUUU :):):)

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
a.) Does the copy of XP have to be legal? I've searched all over the web and no one seems to have a basic yes or no to this. Because if i tried to download it off some website and it won't work, i'd like to know now.

Have to be? No. Should it be? Yes.

if not i guess i'll just buy it. but if there's a way to get xp on my mac without having to buy the real thing LET ME KNOW PLEASEEE :)

Sorry, we can't help you pirate Windows XP. Although good ways to get it legally and on-the-cheap are through an education discount (if you're a student at a university) or getting an OEM version through someone like NewEgg when you buy other hardware (like a mouse).

Good luck. Welcome to MacRumors, and congrats on your first Mac.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Oh mod from above, please delete this thread.

I don't know that deleting the thread is necessary - but reinforcing the fact that this forum doesn't condone piracy, won't aid in the pirating of anything, and that it's against the forums rules to ask for aid in pirating something won't hurt the new rumorite.

prettyenpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
my bad!

sorry, i didn't know you guys can't help me that way.

& i don't know what OEM is, but I'll try the student discount thing.
and yeah i don't think deleting my thread is necessary, all you have to do is just not answer that part of my question.

ty!

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Go to newegg.com and enter Windows OEM in the search field and you will see their listing of legal OEM disks at less than half of what a retail boxed version of Windows would cost you.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
i don't know what OEM is, but I'll try the student discount thing.

OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" (someone like Dell or Apple would be an OEM), and in this case an OEM version of Windows is just a non-retail (no box, just the disc and a serial number) version of Windows. Aside from the packaging and cost, it doesn't differ from the retail version in any other way. It's the same version of Windows, just cheaper.

tallestof4

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Basically, an OEM copy mean that you can only load windows xp on one computer, and the computer you first load it onto is the computer that it has to stay on (you cant cancel the license from an old computer and use it on a new 1, like you can in a retail version). Other then that, it is most likely cheaper than a student discount retail version!

prettyenpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
thanks a lot, guys. your really helping a first year college girl out.

if i ever need any help again i'll come back and post again :p

P.S. WHYY is college so expensive? :(

Delta608

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Tampa Bay
thanks a lot, guys. your really helping a first year college girl out.

if i ever need any help again i'll come back and post again :p

P.S. WHYY is college so expensive? :(

Because your mommy and daddy are paying for it...The least you can do is get a legit copy of Windows, even if OMG, you have to work for it....:eek:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Yes it has to be. Otherwise it's called you go to jail.

prettyenpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
**** You.

Because your mommy and daddy are paying for it...The least you can do is get a legit copy of Windows, even if OMG, you have to work for it....:eek:

like, OMFG, REALLLYY??

first off my parents aren't paying for my college, im getting a student loan you moron. get off your ****ing high horse, im sure for computer geeks like you this is A HUGE DEAL, but please. get a life.

im sure $300 for ****ing vista is nothing for you but for me it is.

SORRY IF ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE SHOCKED THAT I WANTED TO GET XP ILLEGALLY. hope you don't lose sleep. bye.

prettyenpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
for those of you who actually helped i want to say thankyou.

but for those who are too obsessed with their laptops and whatever, get a life.

HAVE A GOOD BLOG, bye :)

JNB

macrumors 604
like, OMFG, REALLLYY??

first off my parents aren't paying for my college, im getting a student loan you moron. get off your ****ing high horse, im sure for computer geeks like you this is A HUGE DEAL, but please. get a life.

im sure $300 for ****ing vista is nothing for you but for me it is.

SORRY IF ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE SHOCKED THAT I WANTED TO GET XP ILLEGALLY. hope you don't lose sleep. bye.

for those of you who actually helped i want to say thankyou.

but for those who are too obsessed with their laptops and whatever, get a life.

HAVE A GOOD BLOG, bye :)

A lot of folks like to assume a lot from very little insight, other than your posts; I agree that some of the responses were inappropriate, and I'm fairly well certain you understand the posture regarding any form of pirated software. It should have been left alone once you acknowledged that.

Given you might want to hang around here, try not to let snarky posts get to you. Regardless if you're offended, responding like just you did is a sure way to unleash the Ban Hamster™. If you feel the post was impolite, either ignore it, or report it. Don't let yourself get dragged into childish debates--there are no winners.

If you decide to Boot Camp the installation, make sure you print, read, and follow the instructions offered at the first screen of the Boot Camp Assistant. They're a sanity-saver. If you want to go the Fusion/Parallels route, know that a Boot Camped installation is automatically recognized and shouldn't require re-authorization. A lot of us have chosen the dual route for the most flexibility.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well she got banned. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

If anyone is going to college, well a lot colleges offer Windows at a discounted price for their students so check before you pirate it (if you're tight on funds).

I do not endorse pirating, but some people cannot afford to pay for software, so I will not hold it against them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.