Windows XP Bootcamp on a New Lion Macbook Pro (I know, I know...)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ravenandcrow, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ravenandcrow macrumors newbie

Alright, first off, I know. I should just buy Windows 7, Windows XP is ancient and not supported by current Bootcamp setups. But I simply don't want to drop the $200 and I've got XP, so I'm trying to make it work. Bring on the flaming!

...is it done? Okay, now on to my humble appeal for assistance.

I'm mostly up-and-running employing a combination of downloaded drivers and drivers from the old Snow Leopard disk with the significant exception of the sound device driver and possibly the graphic card.

Oh, and, so's ya know, I'm trying to get this to work for some gaming (Skyrim), so my usual Parallels usage isn't really cutting it.

So, when I start the game in the Windows partition, I get a message that it can't run because there's no sound device. I've tried to install Cirrus drivers for XP from the Snow Leopard disk, but it gives me a message about not being for this machine...or some such thing. Looking online, I think I need a driver for Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB 29), but am having no luck finding that.

Then I think I might also need driver(s) for XP for Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB and/or AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Forgive any obvious lack of familiarity with any of this—for the most part, I'm a total noob with this hardware stuff.

And gracias in advance. Any help is SUPER-appreciated.

I will now commence maximum emoticon usage:
    :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D :eek: :( :) :confused: :eek: :mad: :apple:

2. ravenandcrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Meh.

Meh. Never mind, I suppose. I've essentially given up on this, primarily because I was able to get the game running well via Parallels after all amping up the memory allocated and CPUs, etc. Would be interested to know if it's possible with the newest Macbook Pros + XP...but it's no longer a priority, really.

So, yay, emulation.