Windows XP compatible with Mac OSX Snow Leopard Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BHome916, Jan 12, 2010.

1. BHome916 macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I'm by no means very tech savvy.

When I tried to install Windows XP (Home Edition) on my Macbook Pro via bootcamp, I experienced a bit of trouble.

I partitioned the hard drive as instructed, then inserted the Windows XP installation disk and hit continue...

This is when the computer more or less took over and started doing it's own thing. After a while the screen went blue and the windows install prompts were flashing across the screen.

At this point I'm still thinking all is good; i accepted the terms of use etc etc. However, once the install was complete, it kept asking me to insert the Windows XP Home edition CD... even though it was already in the disk drive. I tried to hit continue but it kept taking me back to the screen asking for the disk to be inserted. Eventually I quit out of the install (upon doing so the screen prompted me the install did not work), ejected the windows install cd, and restarted my computer back into osx.

Am I overlooking anything here? Did I do anything wrong?

Is the newest version of osx, snow leopard, not compatible with microsoft xp? Do I need to purchase vista or windows 7 if I am to run boot camp successfully?

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Last time I had that problem it was because my disk was too badly scratched.

Boot Camp is just a partition tool, nothing more.

3. BHome916 thread starter macrumors newbie

what would you suggest i do if windows xp fails to install again once i clean off the disk? i highly doubt this is the problem since I've maybe only taken the disk out of it's box 2 or 3 times ever...

is windows xp too outdated to be running on my macbook pro? do i need to upgrade to windows vista or windows 7?

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You could try with another disk or using another disk drive (external), it could have an impact.

No, XP is not too outdated. The problem is with the install, not the compatibility.