Windows XP from MacBook on TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mti19, May 11, 2008.

1. mti19 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I bought a MacBook with the latest version of Lepard (April 08) that allows to install Windows XP (2-nd edition) or Vista (BootCamp) to use all advantages of MacBook. I installed everything and Windows (XP 2-nd edition) works fine on MacBook.

I bought miniDVI--> SVideo adapter to connect MacBook to plasma TV.
    I have a picture for Mac but don't have anything for Windows.
    Our technicians proposed that Mini DVI--> SVideo works for Mac software but doesn't work for XP/Vista?!

Maybe I need to use "miniDVI-->VGA+VGA cable" or "miniDVI to DVI and DVI to HDMI connectors" to see both Mac and XP on TV? But I need to know if any connection will display XP on TV?
    Does anyone have an experience to project Windos XP/Vista from MacBook on plasma TV?

Many thanks,
    mti19

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I am fairly certain that MiniDVI>S-Vid should work as well for Windows. Did you configure your display choice in the "Display Properties" in Windows?

3. mti19 thread starter macrumors newbie

They try to configure XP on my MacBook using 2-screen option but failed.
    That's why they said it was impossible. I can try to configure myself.
    Is there any suggestion how to do this best to make XP work on MacBook?

Many thanks,
    mti19

4. sinoj macrumors newbie

same problem here

Hello friends,
    i do have the same problem metion above. the svideo cables are working perfectly with mac but when log to windows, the TV screen has only flickering lines and in some specific configuration gives vague images.. Can anybody help to solve it?

5. Quest3 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, I have a black Macbook with mini-DVI to HDMI connection. It works perfeclty with the Mac when I connect it to my LCD TV. I also have Windows Vista installed on my Macbook, when I connect my mini-DVI-HDMI connedtion it doesn't detect the LCD TV on Windows Vista. It appears to me that Windows Vista doesn't recognize the mini-DVI port. Apple should release a fix for this problem.

6. jtus macrumors member

I am running windows xp on a macbook with vmware fussion and using the mini dvi out put works fine. You can download a trial verssion of fussion and try it before your buy it.

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have exactly the same problem with Windows XP . The connection to the TV keeps dropping. I have also booted into OS X and used VMWARE in full screen and it works fine.

8. 7031 macrumors 6502

From your description it sounds like XP just doesn't have very good drivers to be honest.

Of course VMWare will work though, since it's still Mac OS running at the hardware level, Windows is just inside a virtual PC.

BTW: You posted this in the Macbook Pro forum.

9. 29Racing macrumors newbie

I´ve got the same problem

Does anyone know how to solve it???

Very greatful for help!

10. Leritu macrumors newbie

I have this Problem Too

Can someone please find the solution to this problem? I am running BootCamp on a Macbook pro. When I connect via a DVI cable while in Mac-version, it works.... when I run in Windows though, the laptop image shows on the tv while the laptop is starting up.... but the tv goes black once windows boots up. I have checked drivers, messed with display options, resolution sizes... I would REALLY appreciate the help! THANKS!

11. Quest3 macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem, but it just worked yesterday. I hooked my Macbook to an external TV, which has a resolution of 1080p. Before you boot your laptop, make sure that no USBs are connected to it, and then connect the mini-DVI or DVI cable. Then boot it to Windows. Once your laptop is booted, go to control panel and search for how to connect to an external monitor. Click to connect the monitor, and in the settings make it so that the desktop screen only shows in the external monitor, and your laptop monitor is blank (Don't extend your screen, or make it a copy). Now set the resolution to be the optimum resolution (maximum in my case 1080p).

12. Leritu macrumors newbie

Still trying...

I appreciate the suggestion Quest... still not having any luck. I changed just about every setting available in the display section in Windows. My tv is a 52'' Pioneer... and when it starys up, it says the resolution is in 640x480. When I startup in Apple version, it's in 1280x720..... if anyone could provide additional insight, I would really appreciate it. There is just a black screen on my tv.

13. ibanana macrumors 6502

14. 03allisone macrumors newbie

Solved!

Hey guys,

This worked for me.

Make sure your miniport to HDMI is plugged into the TV.

Go to control pannel and then to NVIDIA control pannel. Down the left hand side there will be a link like "run multiple display wizard" do that and mess around with the resolutions for both displays and you're done.

Hope this solves the problem for you.

Ed

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

16. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Crikey I thought someone was going to install XP on a MacBook when it's barely got 5 months left to live :D