Windows XP -- Help needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joedavis34, Jan 21, 2009.

1. joedavis34 macrumors regular

Okay, I'm a college student and I work for the Associated Press. I need to run a program called WorkBench to submit my stories with and I need Windows to run it.

What's my best option for obtaining Windows? I suppose I'll be using BootCamp because I don't have a lot of money.

Do torrents work for Windows XP? And are there discounts for XP anywhere for college students?

2. enochpeng macrumors regular

You can use VMware, it'll run pretty smoothly after booting up although it might hold your mac for a while when booting.

Ya those torrents work, but it's your choice... you know what i mean

3. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah... but I'm kinda looking for specific answers.

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Yes Torrents work (if you get a good one) it sometimes is hard to know if you get a good torrent. I would recommend purchasing a copy of XP home for dirt cheap on the net (do a google search). I have stumbled across a few sites that sell XP. Look on ebay. I am sure you'll find what your looking for.

BTW Torrents are illegal. Just wanted to let you know, so you know where your going. They are sometimes more trouble then what they are worth.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Torrents are not illegal. You can download legit software via Torrent. You can also legally download windows VIA torrent. Using a pirated key is the illegal part.

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Your college may offer a discounted version..
    I get it for free because my program is part of the MSDNA.

You could also get an illegal copy, but then get a genuine license from microsoft.. Dont know the price of this though.