windows xp home oem from gateway

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gonnabuyamac, Aug 17, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

so, i have parallels, and i have xp home which came with a laptop i bought from gateway. xp is on a customized disk that gateway manufactured... is there any way that i can get xp to install from that disk onto parallels?

help!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Legally, that copy of Windows can only be used with the hardware it was sold with.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm pretty sure that it will be tied to that particular gateway computer and you won't be able to install it in parallels.

4. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

that sucks.... probably wouldn't have made the switch to a mac if i knew i couldn't use operating systems that i've already paid for.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You didn't pay for it. That copy of Windows was licensed exclusively for that gateway computer.

If you have a problem with it, blame Microsoft.

6. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

I do blame MS - and Gateway... it's just unfortunate that MS's monopoly forces me to need their operating system more often than i need OSX ...

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's only an element of the EULA, and as long as you're no longer using the copy of XP on your laptop (say you've put Ubuntu on it or something) there's nothing to prevent you from installing it on your Mac*

After all, there are no EULAs preventing you from removing the hard disk from the laptop and using it elsewhere, is there? A lot of EULAs are practically unenforceable, as is for example Apple's stipulation that you can only run their OS on their hardware. This is just such a case. Ultimately you can demonstrate ownership of the license, and that it is being used only on one machine.

So, once again assuming you don't have XP on your laptop anymore, give it a try.

*Unless the OS installation on the disc is locked to the OEM Vendor ID in the BIOS. This is done by very, very few manufacturers but I do remember Gateway being such a vendor when I had Windows 2000.

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

I thought a few weeks ago you send you were
    gonnasellamac?

9. hatchet92882 macrumors member

hatchet92882

I know for a fact that you can, i dunno about installing it on a mac... But as for on a normal windoze machine... IT WILL WORK... and then call MS and make up some BS... that you formated your computer or something.... It works... My laptop is a toshiba and it says its a dell....

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not blame Microsoft on the OEM part. You did not pay for it like that. OEM copies of windows XP pro are I think around 100 bucks. Lets compare that with a retail copy (which you can move from PC to PC) which cost $300. For a $200 price difference you are going to have to give up some rights so do not blame M$ on this one. You get what you pay for.
    tell you the truth the EULA does prevent against that because that is putting windows on a new computer. Also even if you could move it to another computer it would still be against the law.