Windows XP(IE/Firefox) problem on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shstiger2009, Jan 30, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Ok, to me this is really weird/strange and I can't think of why it is happening. I set up XP on my Macbook and everything is fine. I needed it because I needed Microsoft Office and some things I need to install need IE as a web browser to run them. Anyway, any internet browser I try to use in XP is SO SLOW. I've tried IE, Firefox, Netscape and Safari (to see if Apple's browser would work) and every one of them is crawling. I did a speed test and on OSX I DL at around 6 Mbps and UL at .5-1 Mbps and when I did it in XP, it said DL was like .5 and UL was around .05. Can anyone explain to me what the problem is?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A bit more info would be helpful.

Boot Camp? VMWare? Parallels? Virtualbox?

If Boot Camp, are the Boot Camp drivers loaded and fully updated?

Is Windows fully updated?

Which Macbook?

B

3. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Boot Camp. I may need to install one Boot Camp upgrade, and I'll check if Widows is fully updated but I'm not getting any update messages. And Macbook Pro summer 2009. Thanks for the help. I don't see why it would limit my connection speed so much though no matter if I needed updates or not? But I'll definitely try.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The driver for the network card may be FUBAR, which is why I want you to double check that all is up to date.

I forgot to ask if this is wireless. Is it claiming to connecting the way you expect? Or are you falling behind somehow. i.e 802.11b on a 802.11g network or 802.11g instead of 802.11n.

EDIT: Finally, make sure you are on your own network. I once spent a couple of days wondering both why my internet speeds were slow and I couldn't see my shared folders on my computer only to find out that my iMac had kindly hopped on to my neighbors' stronger, but open WiFi network.

B

5. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a lot of updates to install and I did them all as well as boot camp so everything is updated. However...I'm on my universities connection today and even before I updated everything it was running OK, or at least it seemed to be making me think it is my network at home. It is wireless, but I don't understand how it can be my network when my speeds at home are way faster than they are here. I'll have to check if it's still acting up when I get home later on, or of the updates did help. I'll keep you posted.

6. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

balamw thanks for pointing out to me that I needed to update everything. Seems to be working fine now, I updated to SP3 also. Thanks so much!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Glad to hear it!

The updates may not have solved the problem for good, bit at least for now things are happy.

B