Windows XP in BootCamp not working

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by graemeh88, May 30, 2010.

1. graemeh88 macrumors member

I have had Windows Xp installed on my late 2009 MacBook Pro for a couple months now, but all of a sudden, when trying to boot XP, i click the icon and it just goes to a black screen with a flashing white line. I have up-to-date virus protection on the XP side and do not think that could be the cause. The only differences on the Mac side are that i have installed Paragon NTFS 8.0, Photoshop CS5 Extended, and Squeeze, by latenitesoft. I laos changed the BootCAmp icon on my desktop to a different image, but after restarting from the black screen with flashing white line, the BootCAmp image restored itself to the original one. I googled the problem and saw that it was a hardware problem. I just want to know what could have caused this and how can I fix it?

2. Glumpfner macrumors regular

Try save all your important files on the Windows partition via MacOS. Then delete the partition via BootCamp and reinstall Windows XP

3. graemeh88 thread starter macrumors member

do you know how i could save the windows applications on my mac side?
    is it as simple as just copying over the program file and desktop icon for a particular program, or is it much more complicated?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unfortunately, it depends very heavily on the program. Some can be done as you suggest, others also require shared files or registry keys to be migrated.

Can you post a link to where you found this to be a hardware problem?

EDIT: In this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=474122 it mostly seems to be associated with flaky USB or other stuff that can easily be unplugged as a workaround.

B

5. graemeh88 thread starter macrumors member

the software im most concerned about is Microsoft Office and Norton Antivirus, because i wont have access to the disks as their home and im away at school.

the hardware issue, was just a post on another site, but i dont believe it to be accurate now, as it this issue of having the all of a sudden black screen with flashing cursor after being installed fine for months seems it could be related to a combination of SP3 and the bootcamp drivers. Not too sure though