Windows XP in Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jwolf6589, Aug 5, 2012.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#2

I have not upgraded from Snow Leopard as of yet as I need to upgrade to Office 2011, and replace several other PPC only apps. However the article above states that Windows XP is not supported in ML is this true? I have a XP partition and I need it for Windows apps. Do not tell me that I also need to upgrade that as well? I have 4GB's of RAM, and have portioned the Windows NTFS drive for 80GB of which I have more than 60GB's free. Will this be enough?

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Windows XP is not supported by Lion or Mountain Lion for use with Boot Camp.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion may corrupt your Boot Camp partition. Only Windows 7 is supported.

If you want to continue to use XP and you want/need to upgrade to Mountain Lion, you could look into using XP as a Virtual Machine. Parallels 7 works well with XP - I have it set up as one of my Virtual Machines.

For Boot Camp, I use Windows 7 (although I also use Parallels to access Windows 7 if I just need to use a Windows program for a few minutes and it's not worth a restart).