Windows XP Install On Mac-Issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by codechris, Dec 3, 2007.

1. codechris macrumors newbie

I have a shiny copy of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 here that i'm trying to install on my macbook pro. When it's booting from the disc it does all that checking and such and when it tries to start the installation I get this blue screen about an error. The error is 0x000006f. Session3_Initialization_Failed.

Why is it doing this? What can I do to fix it? I've never used the disc before.

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

You made a Boot Camp partition for the Windows installation, right?

3. codechris thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes of course. I went through boot camp, did the start installation. It boots from the windows cd, goes to start installation and poof, that error.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

Maybe you have a bad disk. I just bought another OEM version of Windows XP, SP2C. Installing it on a new MacBook Pro via Parallels 3.0, it took me 3 tries to get the machine to recognize the disk.

5. codechris thread starter macrumors newbie

Well It recognizes the disc, does all the intializing and stuff then goes to Start Installation, then fails. I've got a bigger problem now though. My laptop won't start up at all now. I get a flashing folder with a question mark in it. xD I've tried everything on apple's site, nothing works. Great.

6. codechris thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that's all peaches and cream but I'm still having the windows xp issue. xD

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

http://www.hojohnlee.com/hacks/2006/06/20/winxp-session3_initialization_failed-installation-fix/

This doesn't help much, but it seems to be caused by any number of issues related to the CD-ROM, the simplest of which is dirt on the CD.

As someone said, it might be a bad CD. One test would be to try it with another Mac or PC. Ripping it to an on-disk ISO would tell you if it's hardware or CD disk-related - if it fails, it's the CD. If it's the disk's problem, you would need to get a replacement from Microsoft.

But if you're in a hurry and if someone you know has an XP Home install disk, you can use that with your own license key - it's the license that's important for installation, not where the install comes from.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is it retail or OEM? Did it come bundled with a computer purchase?

9. codechris thread starter macrumors newbie

It's retail, I bought it at the store, full install version.

10. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Did you ever figure this out? I just had the same problem trying to install XP on my brand new Macbook.

Update: Never mind. A web search turned up the solution, to use a copy of the XP installation disk.