Windows XP is HOT!!! (Literally)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Saladsamurai, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

So I have been running XP for a month or 2 now since I need it for some applications. Aside from the dog doo-doo battery life that I get I am also graced with the issue of my MBP always running hot. How hot you ask? I don't know since Windows sucks and doesn't have an easy way to check the temp (that I know of). But I do know that its way hotter than usual.

I think that the fans do not run fast enough in XP. When it gets really hot I can hear the fans kick in to a degree, but definitely not enough. I can tell because if it gets really hot and I reboot into the OSX partition, the fans are cranking, but back in windows they were just 'on.'

Any suggestions? (Besides installing ubuntu :D)

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Download Windows software to control the fans. There is plenty out there.

3. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

anyone use a particular kind of software to control the fans that they like? I don't usually do to well when i just randomly pick something. I rather base my decision on someone's experience.

thanks!

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Try Speedfan. Google for it.

And yeah, Apple doesn't make drivers for Windows that actually work well. You should expect half-baked support in Bootcamp at best.

5. aki macrumors 6502a

there are lots of options. i heard talk of speedfan but not used it myself

for myself i use istat under osx and real temps under windows to monitor temps, and smcfancontrol to control fans under osx and via reboot to set them for windows as well

search here for smcfancontrol if you want to know more, lots of posts