Windows XP issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sioannou, Apr 6, 2011.

1. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

Finally I can say that i am a proud owner of the 15 inch base mbp. :D I have the laptop for a few days now, and everything works perfectly.

Today I decided to install windows xp on my machine as i need it to run Visual Studio. After some thought I decided that it would better for me not to install via Bootcamp , so I've downloaded Virtual Box and install windows xp on my machine. The problem now is that the trackpad its not working properly under windows xp neither a normal mouse. My screen its freezing and generally windows xp are very slow.

I am almost 100% percent sure that this happens because i don't have the vga drivers installed . So I made a search on the internet for the vga drivers but I didn't find anything.

Could anyone here provide me with a link that includes all drivers for xp for the base MBP 15 inch? I will really appreciate it.

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha sioannou,

Every VM vendor provides a set of drivers with their product. For VMWare, it's just called 'VMWare tools'. Virtual Box has their own tools app, but I can't remember how it's named. You could do a drive by of their site to check out their documentation, assuming that you could not find the answer in the documentation provided with Virtual Box. You already have that app, it's just a matter of finding out how to use it.

3. frogger2020 macrumors regular

I don't believe that the new 2011 Macbook Pros have driver support for XP. You will need to use Windows 7.

4. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Not true.

The new MacBook Pros don't support XP in bootcamp. This does not apply to VM's. I have XP running quite happily in Parallels 6 on mine.