windows xp mode on windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sossity, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

to any who have windows 7 installed on their mac through parallels or VMware fusion, has anybody tried xp mode? I just read somewhere that windows 7 has this mode.

How is this done? does it run ok? is it any good?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

As I recall it is done using a Windows Virtual Machine (VM) which must be downloaded from a Microsoft web site. It is a fairly large download, and once installed allows you to start a XP VM under Windows 7 which should run XP compatible programs which don't run properly under Windows 7.

I had one really old program I liked (Calendar Creator) which will not run under Windows 7 (64). The program did run under the XP VM, however I am still having issues reading the database of personal recurring calendar events which were created years ago probably under Windows 95.

I just keep a VMware Fusion "Windows XP" machine around for running this one program.:rolleyes:

-howard

3. jimmyurban macrumors newbie

XP Mode allows you to run applications on an XP virtual machine but they will look like they are running on the Windows 7 machine. The applications appear in the regular start menu and you can launch it like all other Windows 7 apps.

To use it, you will need a processor that supports the virtualization technologies (i3, i5, or i7).

It's a great technology and will likely see a huge play in the corporate world.

4. JustCreepin' macrumors newbie

OP:

Keep in mind that you will be running a "Virtualized" version of XP within your already virtualized Win7 (through Parallels/Fusion). I can't imagine the performance hits this would entail.

XP Mode is great IF you don't have a licensed WinXP disc lying around that you can use to create another VM (through Parallels/Fusion) - you'll be able to download a fully "licensed" version of WinXP once you install XP Mode (it will only work in the Win7 XP Mode virtual environment, so it can't be used for Boot Camp or other VMs).

Depending on the requirements of your program, it may run a lot better in a separate VM. However, there should be nothing stopping you from trying the WinXP mode that you can get with Win7.

FWIW, I run 64-bit Win7 Pro with 4 Gb RAM and use VirtualBox for WinXP. This way, I can move/copy/backup the virtual disk to use on a Linux box (or Mac OSX) without having to reinstall all my stuff (which, combined with the required Updates - even to WinXP SP3 - takes most of the day), which you WOULD have to do if you ever wanted to try another virtualization solution, should you go with the WinXP Mode in Win7.

Good luck!

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Remember that you must have either Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate for XP Mode. The feature is not present in Home Premium.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Came here to post the same... I have neither and was unable to run it :(