Windows XP more eco friendly than Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by parkie, Nov 16, 2008.

1. parkie macrumors member

I noticed the other day that when I put my bootcamp installation of Windows XP to sleep it turns off my firwire soundcard, when I put Leopard to sleep it doesn't, the firewire soundcard remains powered up. Surely Leopard should be more eco friendly than Windows XP!! Anyone know why this would be the case? Is there a way of powering down the firewire ports when Leopard sleeps?

p

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, that's not an option that can be controlled. The power difference, however, is extremely negligible. It's not even remotely worth thinking about.

3. parkie thread starter macrumors member

thats as maybe but I'm surprised in these ecologically sensitive times that windows xp deals with this more efficiently than leopard.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Spend half a second less in the shower every day and you've balanced the daily power requirement from the firewire device.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

At the most, FireWire provides 45 watts of power, although most of the audio interfaces I've used have used no more than a watt or so at least (unless you start using Phantom Power etc... when it can be knocked up to around 20 watts).

Ultimately, it's nothing to worry about. A better way to save energy would be to cook less (cooking for a few seconds uses as much energy as an iMac would use if you left it on for several months). All this stuff about standby modes is a nonsense. Yes, it does all add up, but in the great scheme of things, it's still next to nothing at all.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Didn't you get totally over your concerns over excessive power consumption before you bought a Mac Pro? :p

7. grue macrumors 65816