Windows XP no longer works in Snow Leopard Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thekb, Nov 9, 2011.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

I've got a new imac with Lion preinstalled and found out the hard way that I can't install Windows XP in Boot Camp. OK, I can cope with that using Virtual Box.

But, I recently did a clean format and reinstall of Snow Leopard on an older imac (2009) and now when I went to reinstall Windows XP, it says the same thing Lion said ... that I have to use Windows 7. What the ..??

When I try to install XP, it looks like it will work, then gives a disk error and refuses to boot during the install process. It was running XP just fine on Boot Camp until I reformatted the drive and now isn't working anymore. Any one have any advice on how I get it to work like before?

Thanks

2. macteen94 macrumors newbie

My guess is that the last update for Snow Leopard disabled the functionality of Windows XP with BootCamp. The last release of a product when the new version comes out seems to always do bad things to the systems they run on, probably to get you to update.

My only advice is to try purchasing the newest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac, which will not only run Windows on your Mac but also let your Mac and Windows Applications run side-by-side in the Mac Aqua Environment, or move to the Windows Desktop Environment. It is really a spectacular program, the Windows programs even still have the appearance of Windows Applications when run in Aqua. Worth looking into for sure.