Windows xp oem/bootcamp issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rrl3, Oct 26, 2009.

1. rrl3 macrumors newbie

I am confused as to whether Windows XP OEM will work with Snow Leopard. Apple tells me I need the "full version" and that some people have made the OEM version work but they do not know how.

Bootcamp allocates the appropriate drive, instructs me to place windows in the drive and proceeds to run thru the software loading and gets to a screen which asks if I want to proceed with "Setup" then hit enter---problem is the keyboard and mouse do not function---anyone ever have a similar problem? Do I need to buy the "Full" (boxed) version???

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Generic OEM/System Builder Edition versions that you can buy from NewEgg install and work fine. The ones that have been customized by an OEM for particular hardware do not.

However:

• You get no support from Microsoft.
    • You can not perform an upgrade install, only a clean install.
    • The EULA does not grant the end user the right to transfer the license from one "PC" to another once it has been installed.
    • Windows [XP. Vista, 7] OEM is licensed ONLY for preinstallation on a PC intended for resale to a third-party.

Essentially, since you are installing it in a manner inconsistent with the stated licenses, it's not better than buying a copy of Snow Leopard and running it on a non-Apple "PC". It works fine, but isn't licensed for that use.

EDIT: Here's a link from MS close to this topic http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=563841

B