Windows XP or Vista on MBP? - details inside

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fstfrwrd, Aug 11, 2008.

1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

I'm gonna get a new MBP when the new ones are released, with maximized specs. Highest amount of RAM etc etc ...

I have to run windows on the machine as well for school.

I'll be using windows for two reasons:

1) running 3D modelling apps like AutoCAD, Revit etc, which are - from what I've heard - quite intense.

2) running games like Assassin's Creed (in other words: graphically intense)

So, which windows OS should i choose?
    Vista 32? Vista 64? XP 32? XP 64?

2. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you're going to max your RAM out, you'll want to be able to use all of it (I'm assuming 4 gigs or more is what you're aiming at?). Since XP/Vista 32-bit will not see all your memory (possibly 3.3-3.2 or less is most likely), you'll need a 64-bit OS, and since XP 64-bit is unsupported (no drivers), you'll want Vista 64-bit. I would be sure that you make sure you can get a version of AutoCAD and other workstation applications that are compatible with Vista. Older versions may not work properly with Vista. If you're using the latest versions of all those applications, you shouldn't have any problems with Vista. Also, these programs generally have 64-bit versions of them (you can use the 32-bit version, but there are certain limitations with using a 32-bit program), so if that's available to you, definitely get that one (as it can use all your memory).

These workstation programs LOVE memory, and that's why I'm telling you to get Vista 64-bit and the 64-bit version of those programs. 32-bit programs only have a max of 2 gigs of RAM to work with. With games and most programs, that's fine. But workstation programs like all the memory you have, and 64-bit removes this limitation. If you can't get the 64-bit version of AutoCAD, it's ok.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I second Vista 64. Been running it since SP1 came out (February) and it's been awesome.