Windows XP or Vista won't install - No matter what!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by clairebennet, Oct 2, 2008.

1. clairebennet macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to macrumors:forums, but I've been a reader for a while now.

I'm trying to install Windows XP or Vista on my MBP using bootcamp.

I have tried the following and had no success:

1. Normal way (partition, install on partition after formatting to NTFS)
    -- Ends up with corrupted DLLs
    -- or "product catalog missing"
    -- or "write operation attempted to dismounted drive"

2. Try to run repair install (as in, install again, but using the repair feature
    -- same errors

3. Try Checkdisk /R
    -- Says it fixed some errors. Didn't make a difference
    -- Tried installing on the checkdisk-ed partition after formatting

4. Ruled out RAM by trying each slot, with each RAM stick and then installing

5. Wrote 0s to whole drive, tried to install, no dice.

6. 7-run write/erase disk using disk utility from OS X disk, no difference.

7. RAM Memory test, 5 loops, no errors.

8. Disk verified to work, using normal method on another mac.

9. Tried under 32GB partition, lets me reach a desktop. Crashes after restart after installing drivers from OS X disk.
    10. Vista installs properly on 75GB partition, does not boot again after OS X driver install.

11. Updated OS X to 10.5.5 before trying the above.

12. When recieving missing/corrupted *.dlls I managed to keep putting in the dlls it was missing from the internet, until it just stayed black and refused to boot.

Has anyone got any ideas at all? I'm really desperate and has spent the last 4 days up till 2am trying to get this to work.

2. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Can you get a little more specific with that?

Have you tried holding down the option key when you turn your MBP on? That should bring up an OS loader window.

Select Vista.

If you've done that, what happens exactly. What error message, if any?

As far as Windows XP goes, it sounds like a bad CD. Are you using a CD with SP2 installed?

Where did you get the CDs/DVDs from? Other computers, online, store, illegal download?

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah, do you have another Windows DVD you could try out just for funsies?

4. clairebennet thread starter macrumors newbie

If it successfully installs (vista is successful on both 70+GB and 32GB), After installing Vista drivers, I get one of the hundreds of errors i've gotten. usually "unmountable_boot_volume".

The supposed fix for the above error is to fix the boot file (only on XP) Apparently if it has the wrong partition written in there, it shows the error, I've verified (and even tried to swap it around to a number i thought was wrong) to no avail.

5. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

So I am curious: at this point "(vista is successful on both 70+GB and 32GB)", please verify that you can reboot the MBP successfully to OSX and to Vista.

If yes, then the hard work is done. If no, then we need to understand what you mean by "(vista is successful on both 70+GB and 32GB)".

What version of OSX? What version of Vista and what service pack?

I concerned with your statement "After installing Vista drivers". What do you mean?

While booted into Vista, are you inserting you OSX DVD and running the included windows application that installes the Apple supplied drivers?

Answers to the above questions may provide an insight to the cause of the problem.

Neil.

6. clairebennet thread starter macrumors newbie

XP refuses to get past setup on 32GB+ (i am formatting FAT32 for under 32GB, otherwise NTFS) partitions, Vista does successfully install, Install meaning, get me to a desktop.

OS X 10.5.5, Vista Ultimate Non-SP1, Windows XP Pro/Home SP2 (both).

*Before* I installed Apple's windows drivers, I was able to reboot from Vista to Vista. After it installed the drivers (from the OSX disk) i would receive errors. I didn't try getting into OS X then back to Vista without installing drivers.

I'm currently running TechTool Pro 4 and running a surface scan, it's reporting 301 bad blocks found, about 8/10 of the way through.

Are these "bad blocks" repairable? because I did do a 7-write-format thing. And can these bad blocks cause these errors?

7. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

From your responses, I would suspect that you have a bad OSX DVD that is causing your problem(s) by loading corrupted drivers.

As far as bad blocks on your drive; if real these could also be the problem but would normally show up across the drive (or soon will) and impact OSX as well.

You may need to go back to basics and baseline your MBP. Insure that you have your OSX volume backed up to an external drive (bootable SuperDuper or CC image). Using your original DVDs, run the Apple Hardware Test:

See the MBP manual:
    Quoted below.....
    "Using Apple Hardware Test
    If you suspect a problem with the MacBook Pro hardware, you can use the Apple
    Hardware Test application to help determine if there is a problem with one of the
    computer’s components, such as the memory or processor.
    To use Apple Hardware Test:
    1Disconnect all external devices from your computer except the power adapter.
    If you have an Ethernet cable connected, disconnect it.
    2Restart your computer and hold down the D key as it starts up.
    3When the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen appears, select the language for your
    location.
    4Press the Return key or click the right arrow button.
    5When the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears (after about 45 seconds), follow
    the onscreen instructions.
    6If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, it displays an error code. Make a note of the
    error code before pursuing support options. If Apple Hardware Test doesn’t detect a
    hardware failure, the problem might be software related.
    For more information about Apple Hardware Test, see the Apple Hardware Test Read
    Me file on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1. "

Keep us posted on your progress.

Neil

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Bad blocks, aka, bad sectors, is physical damage to the HDD. It's not repairable. I suggest taking it to an Apple Store or calling Apple. The HDD will need to be replaced.

This is assuming TechTool is right.

9. clairebennet thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to run a through test, After returning to Techtool pro, it seemed to have crashed, the logs simply said Surface scan - failed.

So lets assume it's a harddrive problem, What do I say is wrong with the computer? Because i don't think "i can't install windows" will quite cut it as a reason

EDIT: I just realised my MBP is out of warranty :(

10. clairebennet thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran Apple Hardware Test received this error:

4SNS/1/40000000: TGOD

Passnumber: 1
    total time etc.

What's this error mean?

From googling, i heard it's some sort of "logic board" problem....

I've cracked the case, and I'll be able to install a new hard-disk myself. Is it worth a try?

11. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

clairebennet is there any update? Did you resolve the problem(s)? And if so, what was the solution?

Neil

12. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's worth a try to replace the HDD.