Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inpain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Albany, NY
As the subject leads you to believe I am trying to set up a computer lab full of XP Pro machines. They used to authenticate to a Redhat Linux box running Samba 3.0. We want to be able to share the users home directories between the mac and the PC labs, and have both authenticate to the X-Serve (with raid) running Panther server. The X-Serve is configured as the primary domain controller for the domain HIGH, and it is showing up on the network as such.

We have configured Mac Manager and got Mac OS 9 machines connecting, but we can't seem to get the XP Pro machines to even switch to the new domain. I get the error:

"Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not
your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this
information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name HIGH might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case,
verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain HIGH:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.HIGH

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child
zone:

HIGH
(the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click
Help."

I know there are some problems using Samba 3 to do this, but it WAS working under redhat, why not os x? Has anyone done this before? How do you properly create machine accounts? Has Apple produced any clear documentation regarding this?

I am at wits end and was scheduled to have this entire setup finished before Monday when students return. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph Lane

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I would call Apple Tech Support. They should be able to help you. I work for a school that is trying to do the same thing...only with a Windoze server (Windows 2000 Server Ed.). If anyone has any suggestions with that please tell me. We have couple of 500 MHz Dual USB iBooks. We want to login screen to point to the Windows Server instead of the local drive and then go out and get their stuff.

ronsky

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2003
Cologne
Hi Joseph,

I've just flew over your XP problem:
it seems that the windows box checks first a Wins Server, this is a sort of selfpopulating dns-system for netbios machines.
Wins or better the 'master browser list' is that what makes you see things in the 'Network Neighbourhood' (could this be 'browse computers on this network' on XP, I don't do win!)?
What seems to be happening is that windows asks the Wins-server, doesn't get a reply and then goes to a dns server (probably a machine on the external side of your network ie the internet) and gets the reply 'High is unknown' thus causing the error message.
To check if this is true, go to the network settings of one XP box, open the networksettings>TCP/IP and blank the spaces were you have the IP numbers for DNS and Wins Server. Write these down as this test is only temporary, you'll have to put these numbers back as they were else this could cause several netw. related problems!!
Connect just these two machines, if possible, to a hub/switch or with a cross-connect cable, this will stop a misconfigured winsserver or master browser messing things up. If this isn't possible, try to make sure just these two boxes are running!
Wait at least 10 mins, this is the time for windows to loose its master browser cache and then browse the Network Neighbourhood and tell me what happens.
btw. what does the errormessage (C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt)you mentioned say??

ron

inpain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Albany, NY
The problem was finally solved by turning on WINS on the X-Serve then pointing the XP boxes to the X-Serve's IP address for the WINS server in the network configuration. Too late though, school is back in session, it might be a week till we can get everything running off the X-Serve now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.