Windows XP Pro on Bootcamp or VMware Fusion?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by CSilver, Mar 10, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Hi, I was wondering if using VMware Fusion decreases the Graphic card when trying to run Window games such as Mabinogi by Nexon...

Spore runs fine on OS X on my Aluminum Macbook 2.0 GHz but for some reason Mabinogi says the graphic card on Macbook can't support 100% when running the game.

My brother wants to play Mabinogi with his friend when he comes over and we have a HP laptop on vista that can run Mabinogi fine but not spore...

Do I need to uninstall the VMware Fusion and install xp through Bootcamp ?? Do you think that will help the graphic card??

Another question is that do I need to uninstall the Fusion or can I have both??

Does having Fusion take up alot of space even not running on OS X??

Sorry for asking quite a bit here but I just needed to know!!1

Thanks in advance and Have a great day!!

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Gaming in Boot Camp will increase your performance because the graphics drivers for Windows are better than the OSX drivers. Boot Camp is also better for gaming because it can utilize all of the RAM you have, whereas with VMWare, it is running a virtual machine, which means it can't use all of your resources because you are also running OSX at the same time. This includes the graphics card. The bottom line is that Boot Camp is better for gaming than VMWare. I hope I answered all of your questions...

3. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes that helped confirming and giving me a reason to switch to Boot Camp!
    Thanks for the reply!! Although I have question about Boot Camp... When I set up the partition for Windows Xp... is that mean that partition used by Boot Camp will never be able to used by OS X again?
    p.s. Maybe I should tell them to go play outside o_O? (it is very cold in here lol -30 C this morning)
    Thanks-CSilver-

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea once you partition the space that you designate for windows can never be used by OSX unless you delete the partition. Depending on how much space you have left on your HD, you might want to make them go outside lol.

5. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Once you've installed XP under bootcamp, you can also run it through Fusion which saves you having to reboot it you're only doing light tasks that Fusion can cope with. Gaming is generally bad on Fusion/Parallels because the software isn't actually using the graphics card, just virtualizing one which requires a lot of power and misses many features.