Windows XP Pro on bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sciman11, Sep 26, 2008.

1. sciman11 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Quick question concerning the dual platform XP/OSX...i loaded everything according to the instructions...everything went will except when i tried to boot up the windows side this morning all it keeps doing is rebooting...the windows logo comes up saying it's loading but once that disappears it reboots. I try to boot up using the safe mode same thing....and booting from a point where it worked before doesn't work.. ANY suggestions would be apprciated....also if there is no fix...can i just trash the windows partition or would that create a problem

Thanks in advance for your help

Sciman11

2. kolax macrumors G3

What version of Windows XP you using?

Trashing the XP partition is fine - you could try reinstalling XP again and do a format of your XP partition rather than trashing it. Sounds like something got corrupted during the install.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Try again :)

Boot into OS X, run bootcamp, restore the drive to one partition, reboot, run bootcamp, make a new windows partition, install Windows, hope for the best!

I've done all sorts of stuff with bootcamp, but I've never seem something like that before. It could be that just wiping and reinstalling XP would work, but I'd kill the whole partition just to be safe.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could try and boot into the XP install disc and try to repair Windows, but I don't know how well that would work.

Reinstalling wouldn't cause any problems.

5. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

1)Put in the XP disc, restart the computer while holding down the alt key until you get the screen asking whether you want to boot to OS X, Windows or the Windows CD. Select the windows CD.
    2)Once the CD is loaded select R to go to recovery console, choose the windows partition if it asks.
    3)When you get the prompt, type
    Code:
    chkdsk /r
    then wait for it to run through.
    4)Restart to windows and see if it's done the job. In my experience it works 9 times out of 10.

I'd stress that what you've described is a Windows issue, not a Boot Camp issue. If it doesn't work, there's no need to recreate the partition to do a reformat and reinsall.

6. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Agreed. I'd remove the windows partition (via BC), then make a new one, and after that install ws again.