Windows Xp Pro SP2 on my macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nesmar, May 21, 2009.

1. nesmar macrumors newbie

Hi, I want to install windows xp pro with sp2 using boot camp on my macbook.
    All I will really use it is to play one online game which is battlefield 2, other than that i plan to use Leopard OS.
    My question is, will i really need internet security for the windows partition? even though im just using it for one game and no browsing at all?

If so, what are some good free programs so i wont need to buy one.
    Also, if windows for some reason does get a virus and is affected will the Mac partition also be affected?

too many questions sorry, its my first macbook and dont know much about it.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Sure you'll need all the usual precautions you have to take with a windows OS. Anti spyware / malware programs, anti-virus programs..
    AVG is a good free anti-virus program, AdAware is a good free anti-spyware program.

Also you might be better off posting this in the 'windows on a mac' section

3. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Just make sure your XP partition is fully up-to-date (Windows Update) w/ all the latest patches/updates from Microsoft. You'll be fine.

As far as anti-virus, you can use AVGFree without a problem--it's what I use and it doesn't bog your machine down.

4. nesmar thread starter macrumors newbie

im new here :D thank you

5. MedHead macrumors regular

Yes you do need the protection as when in boot camp the laptop will be like a windows machine, ie it is susceptible to all the pitfalls which come with windows such as viruses. Something like AVG should be ok if you're sticking to pretty mainstream sites and it can be downloaded for free. (Google it)

Im not 100% sure if the mac part of the hard disk would be affected or if it would be restricted to the windows partition but its better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: Beaten to it in the time it took me to type! :p

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Another thing... when you install the Windows, make sure you pop the Apple CD's in and install the Windows drivers.

7. nesmar thread starter macrumors newbie

which of the two cds? the applications cd or the OS cd? or is it both lol

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

The Leopard DVD that came with your computer has the stuff on it.

9. 22Hertz macrumors regular

If you wont ever be connected to the internet in Windows I wouldn't worry too much about it.