windows xp pro srvice pack 2 OEM with paralells 5.0 on macbook pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sossity, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

can I install an OEM windows xp pro service pack 2 OEM disc on my 2010 macbook pro with snow leopard?

The oem versions are a better price than the full retail version, but before I buy, I wanted to check in here with anybody who may have done this or has experience with this.

will oem work? or do I have to use the full retail version?

what are the differences for oem & retail?

I have googled this, but I get mixed answers, so I am looking for a definitive one, before I make the buy, I dont want to waste time or money if it will not work.

I already have parallels installed with windows 7 professional full version, but some of my programs are windows xp only.

thanks

2. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Yes, it will work, and it will run quite snappily. I bought the OEM version from Amazon and have done this on my 2009 MBP and Parallels 5.

Some will point out that it may violate the EULA because of the OEM distribution requirements for a "system builder" but Microsoft never kicked in my door complaining about it. If the licensing concerns you, search around here again, as a thread or two on this were rehashed in the last month or so.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked through mroogle, & most of the posts were from 2007, 2008

how long ago did you buy & install yours? has it worked past 30 days for you? as this seems to be common trial period time frame for software.

how can one tell if the oem software is new & has not been used on a computer before?

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I even went so far as to give you a hint on what to search for. :p

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1076266&highlight=system+builder

Bought and installed September 2009. Had it on there for about 9 months before I rebuilt my Boot Camp partition and couldn't find the disc to reinstall. By that time there were good deals to be had on the Windows 7 full license, which is what I moved to.

Mine was not a trial version. I can't remember the activation scheme, but it behaved just like a normal version of Windows XP. It does do a ton of updates to get caught up, but consider how old this software really is!

The OEM version I bought was in a sleeve or envelope or something with a legalese-covered sticker on it that you had to tear open, just like a normal software release. Obviously if someone is just handing you a loose disc or you pick it up off the street, you have no way of knowing if it has been used or not.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Your mileage will vary.

Here's a recent thread where two users repost not being able to install XP SP2 OEM on their Macs. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=784136

You need to be a lot more careful with OEM than with a retail version, because "OEM" can mean the clean/generic system builder edition that generally does work, and can also mean one that has been customized for a particular manufacturer like Dell, HP, ... These will generally NOT work.

You get what you pay for and in this case "saving money" on OEM buys you a license of Windows that is just about as valid as a Hackintosh, but with more restrictions.

You can't install to anything but bare metal (no in-place upgrade installs are possible), and the license is bound to the hardware you initially install it on, and is not transferable to other hardware. (In practice this can usually be resolved by calling Microsoft during activation, but they could tell you to take a hike since you are not keeping up your end of the license agreement).

B

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

The one I got is a hologram disc, the ones you describe as the ones made by a particular manufacturer that do not work are they blue & white with dell or hp stamped on them? I have seen these, & then the OEM discs that are the shiny silvery hologram discs, do these work?