Windows XP questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rewolfrats, Jul 16, 2007.

1. rewolfrats macrumors newbie

I'm looking to install Windows XP (32bit SP2) on my new Mac Pro to run a few specialized analytical and graphical software packages, ArcGIS, and Matlab.

1) I have access to the OS software via MSDN-AA. Do I need to download this software with a PC and save it to a DVD? The directions are written for a PC: Click on "Start" and choose "Run..." Type \\babs.its.yale.edu\msdn-iso in the Run... box and hit ENTER. Can't quite figure out how to do this on the Mac Pro.

2) Should I be looking at Parallels or Boot Camp? I will be wanting to share files with OS-X but I will also want to get maximum performance out of computer for some GIS and modelling applications.

3) For Boot Camp should I be leaning toward a separate internal hard drive for Windows?

Thanks

2. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

1) yes, you need to have XP on a CD/DVD
    2) personally I have Parallels v3 [works great]
    3) thats up to you... Parallels [and I assume VMWare] support up to 128gig "virtual" hard disk images. I dedicated a 250gig drive for my Windows and XP/OSX shared areas