Windows XP recognized one iPhone as a device, but not the other iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Eldiablojoe, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ok, I have a wee bit of a mystery.

I synced my iPhone (3.1.2) to iTunes (9.0.2.25), and then I opened up my Windows XP "My Computer" to view the phone as a device so I could transfer photos around. No problemo.

I synced up Mrs. EDJ's iPhone (3.1.2) to iTunes (latest), and then I opened up my Windows XP "My Computer" to view the phone as a device so I could transfer photos around. The PC does not recognize the iPhone as a device in My Computer.

I'm using the same laptop and the same usb cable with both phones, and both are 3GS (one is 32GB, the other 16GB).

Why is My Computer not recognizing Mrs. EDJ's 16GB iPhone?

Thanks!

EDJ

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Nope, didn't work. It recongized one of our iPhones, just not the other, as a "device." I'm trying to organize my photos like I was doing yesterday when you helped me.
    Grrrrrrrr.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, one possible cause is an empty camera roll - the phone only shows up as a camera when the camera roll has some photos in it.

Or it could be a corrupted camera roll that Windows thinks is empty. If this is the case you could delete all the photos on the phone, restart it, take a pic, and see if that fixes it.

And I found this in another thread:
    Suddenly today i was looking at my device manager and noticed a MTP or MTD (I forget) device and said it could not start. so i determined it was from my iphone. so i uninstalled it and unplugged my iphone from my dock and then plugged my iphone back in and the drivers installed and i can now access my camera roll.
    Hope this helps somebody.

5. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thanks for the input Moi, but I'm still having issues.

I'm hesitant to restore my iPhone or empty the camera roll because that defeats the purpose I'm trying to accomplish, namely, transferring my photos onto my PC.

The problem, I think, is some type of setting in iTunes or the iPhone that prevents the PC from recognizing the device. It works perfectly with one of my two iPhones, so I am ruling out the PC or Windows XP (not the new Win7) as the source of the issue.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks!

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Did you look in Device Manager when the unresponsive phone is plugged in? What does it show in the USB devices?

7. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

My apologies for the ^ Bump, but I'm still seeking an answer to this problem.

Thanks!