Windows xp removed leopard on boot camp :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diamondarmada, May 24, 2008.

1. diamondarmada macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I have a HUGE problem with my mac. ok I tried installing windows through boot camp. It installed windows perfectly... however it removed leopard along with it. I check to see if leopard was there I tried everything, but it just wasn't there. What I wanna know is, how do I get leopard back and installed, when it will only opens up with windows?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Reboot the Mac, holding the Option key while doing so. If you don't see the Mac & Windows partitions as available boot drives, it sounds like you installed Windows onto the Mac partition (formatting it in the process). If that is what happened, you've lost everything on the Mac side in the process.

Common enough mistake, when the provided instructions aren't followed to the letter. Boot from the Leopard DVD, reformat the drive, reinstall Leopard, reset the Boot Camp partition, and follow the instructions.

Attached Files:

3. diamondarmada thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds good enough to work. although how do you boot from the mac CD and what is the option key?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Option Key --> the one with ALT or Option on it. As the Mac OS boots, it will present the partitions from which you can boot.

CD Boot --> hold down the "C" key when booting.

5. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

After Windows is installed, the default setting will be to boot into the Windows partition.

In order to get back to Leopard, you need to hold the ALT/OPTION key. It's next to the CMD/COMMAND key on your keyboard. It says "alt" and "option" on it.

Hit the power button to turn your computer on, and immediately press and hold the alt/option key. Wait until a boot menu appears. It should show Mac OS X, Windows, and anything in your optical drive. Choose the Mac OS.

Then, go into System Preferences, and click Startup Disk. Click on your Mac OS X partition, and then close it out. You will now regularly start in Mac OS X, with Windows an optional boot if you hold the option key.

Yes, it'd be nice if they gave us a colorful boot menu screen on each launch, but Apple has chosen to make it a little arcane.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That thing.

7. diamondarmada thread starter macrumors newbie

Yay

YAY! My mac is working perfectly now. thankx for all your help guya :) Really apreciate it :p

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Great! And read the instructions next time you try something major like the earlier poster recommended.;)

9. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

im assuming your new to mac? and if ur not well who knows:eek: and it will always boot into windows unless if u hold down option before an initial boot up

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

haha did u make that picture after i like screwed up with boot camp , but for some reason i thought it was the control key at first to boot screen lol :eek:

11. diamondarmada thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, now we know.

"AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!!"
    "gggiiii jooooooe!"

lol :)

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Actually, that pic is months old, and has been used quite a few times. You'd be amazed at the number of people that make one assumption too many about Boot Camp setup (myself included). :eek: