Windows XP side of BootCamp keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by twilitegxa, Oct 23, 2008.

1. twilitegxa macrumors newbie

My computer was running extremely slow and seemed to be freezing, so i restarted, and now it is restarting and coming to the screen that says Windows didn't shut don properly and asks if I want to run in safe mode, normal, at last known good configuration. I have tried every option, but it looks like it is restarting properly, then it powers off and back on to the same screen over and over again. It briefly shows the blue screen of death, but not long enough to even read it; it just flashes, then goes on to restarting. The Mac side seems to be working fine, but I have a lot of Windows programs I need to use, so I need my Windows side to work as well. Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

2. OceanAtlantic macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Is this purely a windows issue, therefore, no one has bothered replying here?

3. Richelle macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Please let me know if you figured it out.

4. znewel macrumors newbie

Is anyone here?

Google search turns up lots of questions but no answers.

Same problem as above posters. Mine occurred as Adobe Acrobat 9 was downloading and installing an automatic update where it required a reboot. It then just kept loading, and when it got to the desktop, it would reboot again. This looping would probably go on forever if I let it.

So time to try intervention. Hold f8 key when the screen goes from grey to black (meaning bootcamp is starting Windows). This takes one to Windows XP safe mode.

First try: Selected Safe Mode. Then used start / run... / msconfig to remove all Adobe services and start up commands. No joy.

Second try: used F8 to disable automatic restart on system failure (hopefully so I could see the error message causing the reboot), No joy.

Third try: Restore to a previous point which takes quite a while. No joy.

Fourth try: with restore point back to last night, trying to do the same as First try. This is getting very boring...

Update: This last one (in conjunction with Step 3) seems to be working. All sorts of errors pop up with Dr. Watson, system config popped up multiple times, but its running.

If there are any experts out there, who actually know what's going on, instead of me hitting keys until something works, this does seem to be a recurring problem, and an answer to the three people above (and me) would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 17" (late 2006) 2.33 Ghz Intel Core duo
    Snow Leopard 10.6.4
    XP Pro SP3 5.1 Build 2600
    Adobe CS4 Design Premium for Win

Fresh install of windows and all software two days ago, after dumping Windows 7 because Microsoft has made its products worse not better.

Must use Windows mode, because some software I use does not work on Apple.

5. Nikkis macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I experienced the same problem. My case - yesterday morning the rebooting loops started but it was fine in the evening after a long period of power off. This morning...i was installing 3 programs...every thing was fine. Then in the evening the rebooting started again. If any of you figure out how to fix this, please post it back.

Mine is
    MacBook Pro 15" 2 Ghz Intel Core duo
    Snow Leopard 10.6.4
    window XP

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

My first thought is that it could be damaged Master Boot Record (MBR) that could be causing the boot loops.

Here's a webpage that has the steps to fix it. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairmbr.htm

It's a very simple process. Hopefully you have a Windows XP install disc on you.

Get back to me with your results.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just note that it is possible to screw up your Mac OS X partition any time you do any kind of partition operation. So make sure you have a backup (or are OK with losing everything) before you try repairs.

B

8. Nikkis macrumors newbie

Driver issue

Ok..I've been trying to solve this for a month and yet....nothing works. Here is what happened during the last month.
    I reinstalled window XP and play with it a few times before installing the mac drivers. Now...once mac drivers are installed the rebooting loops start again. I tried your suggestion, but could never access recovery console. I can only do F8, let it started in safe mode.

Seem like the problem is with driver, esp Applekeyboard and Appletrackpad. They are error. Could this be the problem? I still have no idea how to solve it. By the way....my keyboard was working on bootcamp side, only when i tried installing the mac driver then it was no longer connected.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What is the source of your drivers? Are you using a Snow Leopard upgrade disc (since your Mac shipped with an earlier version)? Have you upgraded to the latest (3.2) version of the drivers?

Older versions of the trackpad driver were definitely flaky, but this has gotten a lot better.

B

10. Nikkis macrumors newbie

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The ones listed at Boot Camp Software Update 3.2 on the right hand side here: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

B

12. Nikkis macrumors newbie

Ok. My boot camp driver is version 3.0 Now i did read from mac site that this version won't work with windowXP. I tried the version 2.0 that i downloaded from mac site but it wouldn't install.

Now....i have version 3.0, shall i install that and try to update to 3.2 in safe mode???

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. I'm not sure what you read, but Boot Camp 3.x most definitely supports XP. No Boot Camp supports XP 64 bit if that's the issue.

B

14. edbygemini macrumors newbie

Driver problem ???

This is probably a quick fix but it worked. I detest Windows but I have to use it for my embroidery programs! After a minor glitch in USB sticks my computer started rebooting and rebooting.....I reinstalled Windows ---don't ask how many times. I even junked the partition and did that again! The screen was all wonky but it worked, sort of. I realized I hadn't installed all the drivers from Snow Leopard so ----I installed again. This time to my amazement the screen came up smaller and sharp but REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT......SO someone here mentioned turning it off for a bit. Seems too simple to work but it did. I turned everything off for a few hours, restarted and "voila", good as new. Other than the fact that I had to install ALL my programs again!! I actually shut my Mac down last night as well. Usually just put it to sleep at night but just in case ....
    First, it has to be a driver issue but why does shutting down for a while solve the problem?