Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
This is driving me insane. Just got a new Centrino laptop (obviously with wireless), but it refuses to see the AirPort network. I have reset the base station so there is no encryption of anykind, but still no joy.

Is there anything that needs to be set on the AirPort for this to work? :confused:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Bleh, it won't do **** all :mad: It's there, enabled, just won't see any network. Sorry, don't want to burden MacRumors with this :eek:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
On my sister's old Dell, she would lose wireless very often. She would see the network, but it would just randomly lose the connection. The problem was solved when she disallowed windows from controlling the wireless card and gave control to the D-link driver utility. It worked very well after that. Maybe you have a similar problem?

EDIT: We had to uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network setting" box. Then we opened the D-link utility and it worked. I have no idea how exactly to do on your machine, or even if it is possible.

image003.jpg

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
grapes911 said:
I have no idea how exactly to do on your machine, or even if it is possible.

Probably not possible, since Centrino is just Pentium M plus wireless...usually they don't have a wireless utility unless you download one...

edesign, you did say it won't see ANY network? not just yours?

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but sometimes there's a wireless turn on switch on one of the F1-12 keys. You usually hold a "Fn" type button and press it. It looks something like something with transmitting lines coming out...have one of those? If so, turn that on, its what enables it to find networks.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well, right now I only know it wont see my wireless network, as this is the only one available to me...which I am using right now with my PB.

Because it's all built in there is no manual config util, you just have to let windows handle it :rolleyes:

Wireless is enabled to the best I can tell.

I'm going insane.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
edesignuk said:
This is driving me insane. Just got a new Centrino laptop (obviously with wireless), but it refuses to see the AirPort network. I have reset the base station so there is no encryption of anykind, but still no joy.

Is there anything that needs to be set on the AirPort for this to work? :confused:

Well... there isn't anything special. The only thing that I know that prevents a PC from logging onto the Airport Extreme BS is restricting to WPA2 clients only. Since you've disabled encryption, there shouldn't be any sort of prevention from using that network. :(

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
edesignuk said:
Wireless is enabled to the best I can tell.

Right click on my computer, go to properties. Look for device manager. Find your wireless card. Right click it. Disable it, then wait a few seconds. Enable it again, close the window and see if you can connect to the network.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
edesignuk said:
Tried that, no go :mad:

:( You 100% sure you don't have something like this:

jq43et.jpg

My dad had this problem with his new Centrino laptop and he gave it to me. I fixed it by turning it on with the keyboard command. My old PC laptop had this too. On many, like his Toshiba, it has an "i" with (( )) coming out of the "." on the i. :p

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
edesignuk said:
There's nothing on those keys at all indicating a wireless on/off, I've also checked in the BIOS.

Hmm, only other thing I can think of that I had to do on mine was to download the newest wireless card driver from the manufacturer's website. Without that, I don't think my wireless card was working right.

I guess you could try that, other than that, what brand is the laptop? Guess you could try calling them...maybe it's common. :confused:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's an Intel card because it's part of the whole Centrino chipset and stuff.

Next thing is bitching down the phone, don't you worry :D

vashim66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
Try using a 13 character WEP password for encryption. I have a similar setup where im using a centrino laptop on my airport express wireless network. This solved my problems. By using a 13 character pword the password set in the Airport is equal to the hex equivalent used by Windows XP SP2.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
vashim66 said:
Try using a 13 character WEP password for encryption. I have a similar setup where im using a centrino laptop on my airport express wireless network. This solved my problems. By using a 13 character pword the password set in the Airport is equal to the hex equivalent used by Windows XP SP2.

Yeah this is true; it prevented my Vaio from connecting to my wireless network... however e said there was no encryption on at all.

...thinking caps back on everybody... :p

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
vashim66 said:
I'm :confused:. Are you saying that before you gave the AirPort a 13 character WEP password your laptop was saying it couldn't find any networks AT ALL?
dietcokevanilla said:
After throwing it out the window of course ;)
Naturally.
dietcokevanilla said:
Yeah this is true; it prevented my Vaio from connecting to my wireless network... however e said there was no encryption on at all.

...thinking caps back on everybody... :p
Correctamondo. *starts to eye up best window to throw from*

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
edesignuk said:
I'm :confused:. Are you saying that before you gave the AirPort a 13 character WEP password your laptop was saying it couldn't find any networks AT ALL?

No... I had this problem before.

If you use WEP (128bit or whatever it is) and your password isn't exactly 13 chars long then no Windows pc will be able to connect to it. So you have to either make it 13 chars or change the encryption to 40-bit.

your centrino laptop should be able to see other networks AND your own one if you're not using WEP.

eseaidea

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
edesignuk, I have same problem with you.

Do you solve this problem in the end? Would you kind enough give me some idea, or how you solve in the eventually?

Any suggest will be appreciate Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.