Windows XP SP3 on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evnn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Evnn macrumors newbie

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Both will not work, as far as I know, as they are OEM and not RETAIl. You ned to look for RETAIL versions of Windows, if you are a student, maybe take a look at your university's offering, sometimes Windows 7 can be had for less than 40 USD.

3. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

Unless you're going to be using the PC in a business environment where you would need to join a domain, XP Home will work fine for you. The one you have linked is OEM and it is my understanding that in order to have MS OEM XP, it must be installed on a new PC (or within 90 days of purchase). Maybe this seller has some sort of loophole with the CPU they're including but this would raise red flags for me. You will want to look for XP Home box product. http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-XP-Home...371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2bacb51b

With that said, be careful with purchasing software on eBay - especially MS Windows.

4. jlw2387 macrumors member

Neither one will work. They are both OEM, which only applies to new systems. You need the Retail version. Also, AFAIK alot of the Dell/HP OEM CD's will only install on a Dell/HP machine.

5. Evnn thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha that sucks!! Im not paying 230 bucks to play the new BlackOps.. If I have a friend who has a windows CD, can i use that one to install it on my MacBook? Thanks anyways guys : )