Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostinspace2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
I want to play only games on windows side and do all my work in mac os . Itwas very hard to decide which OS to choose and install via bootcamp.

Win XP or Win 7.

Windows xp is having Dx9 and Windows 7 is having Dx11.My Q. is: ;)

1) Will i be getting more FPS in Xp or 7.
2) Win 7 is better in multicore oprations and not Win xp.
3) Will Dx11 games work in Dx9.
4) Which OS will provide better performance, give personal suggestions.

Thanx Bye. :) :apple:

Horacio Caine

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
hI,
I use windows xp sp3, performance edition, is a little bit faster then normal win xp.

For now i will use xp because win 7 is a new os and needs time to becoume a better os than xp, imo .

and dx 9c is the best dx for now so....

cumps

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
The only real reason I can think of for installing XP over 7 in boot camp at this point is if you either have an older computer or really care about having the best compatibility with really old Windows apps. 7 has had plenty of time to mature (starting with when Vista first came out) and FPS differences between up-to-date XP and up-to-date 7 should be pretty negligible on a recent-ish machine. You'll also get a more capable OS, better security, and things like DirectX 10/11 if you go for 7.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Windows 7 or XP in Boot Camp?

If you can afford it, then I recommend Windows 7. I've spent a lot of time testing gaming performance between the two in Boot Camp on IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles, a GPU-intensive Windows XP / DirectX 9 application on my MacBook Pro 13" NVidia 9400M, and noted no noticeable difference.
Overclocking with NVidia System Tools V6.05 works best with Windows XP; however, unless you're planning on pushing your system to the limit there's no real need to exceed default frequencies.
I've found the Boot Camp V3.1 NVidia driver to be quite good compared with Nvidia's latest 195.62 version and am staying with it for the moment. I assume the Apple-provided driver has been modified for better compatibility with the MacBooks, but haven't done extensive testing of this.
The biggest drawback to Windows 7 is of course its price. So if you only plan on gaming with DirectX 9 compatible programs and cost is an issue then I would certainly advise against Windows 7, unless you can find one for a reasonable price.

dragonbong

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
There are some bumps along the road. I'm still having issues on steam running L4D2. No problems in XP but lots of graphical issues in Win 7 from iMac ATI 2600HD. Using new drivers from ATI. Catalyst tool bar also missing after installation... Thinking about going back to XP.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
There are some bumps along the road. I'm still having issues on steam running L4D2. No problems in XP but lots of graphical issues in Win 7 from iMac ATI 2600HD. Using new drivers from ATI. Catalyst tool bar also missing after installation... Thinking about going back to XP.
Same iMac as yours. No problem whatsoever with L4D2. I use the original W7 x64 drivers as the latest ones have known problems, especially with Catalyst Control. Are you on x86 or x64?

dragonbong

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Same iMac as yours. No problem whatsoever with L4D2. I use the original W7 x64 drivers as the latest ones have known problems, especially with Catalyst Control. Are you on x86 or x64?

Using x64. I tried the W7 ones before and had some major jaggies and walls appearing out of nowhere blocking my view in L4D2. Updated to try and fix the problem. Might need to wipe out and reinstall sigh... I'm also having the audio issue with external speakers in the line in/out port.

Apologies to OP didn't mean to hijack.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I want to play only games on windows side and do all my work in mac os . Itwas very hard to decide which OS to choose and install via bootcamp.

Win XP or Win 7.

Windows xp is having Dx9 and Windows 7 is having Dx11.My Q. is: ;)

1) Will i be getting more FPS in Xp or 7.
2) Win 7 is better in multicore oprations and not Win xp.
3) Will Dx11 games work in Dx9.
4) Which OS will provide better performance, give personal suggestions.

Thanx Bye. :) :apple:

Windows 7. There is _NO_ reason to bother with XP or Vista anymore. Windows 7 has all the speed/stability of XP and the under-the-hood advancements of Vista. The real question you should be asking yourself is, "Do I want 32-bit or 64-bit."

To answer your questions though:

1) Honestly, it'll probably be about the same (give or take 1-2 fps). In most cases though, Windows 7 will show a slightly higher FPS count.
2) Very true. Windows XP is a dinosaur and was made for computers that were around in 2001. Windows 7 is made to take advantage of hardware made today (in 2010).
3) Yes. However, there is only one DX11 capable card right now (the ATI 5800 series) and it's only for desktops.
4) Windows 7. See answer number 2 for why.

And just to make things clear, Windows 7 has DX9 (as well as DX 10 and 11). But XP will NEVER have DX10 or 11 (not that really matters too much right now). You can make sure you're up to date with the latest version of DirectX by using the web installer here (it automatically checks every DX file to make sure it's up to date).

Look, this isn't even an argument. Windows 7 hands down. No one in 2010 today should be bothering with XP on a modern computer.

That's not Windows fault. That's ATI's fault for not making a better driver (which I'm sure they'll fix in later drivers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.