Windows XP to iMac compatibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agrats84, Nov 25, 2007.

1. agrats84 macrumors member

I am interested in getting a new iMac but have a few questions before I spend the big $$$. I am a high school teacher and use PowerPoint and Word everyday. Will I have any problems opening the presentations I have already made (on my PC) on the new mac? Or any problems making presentations on the mac and opening them on the Windows XP at school? This is my MAJOR concern!

Would you recommend iWork '08 instead of Office?

I also plan to use it a little for building a website, photos, and the internet; so will I notice a difference between the 2.0ghz vs. the 2.4? 1gb ram vs. 2gb?

2. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Even though I love iWork, I would recommend office. It would be a total pain-in-the @$$ to have to deal with 2 different programs. But which version of office does your school use? If it uses 2003 ed. make sure u buy Office for Mac 2004 (student and teacher edition, to save a lot of money). If it uses Office 2008, still buy 2004, but go to this website, http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/supersuitedeal/ so u can upgrade to 2008 for like 8 bucks.

P.S. you might want to also buy iLife 08 for reports or projects. Its only 80 bucks, (60 with your educational discount, if you buy online) which is cheaper than office, but its a nice program. Still, for school stick with office.