Windows XP to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DevGrousis, Mar 17, 2011.

1. DevGrousis macrumors newbie

I have 2 different versions of Windows 7 ISO's on my windows xp side, and for some reason burning them to disks doesnt seem to do anything.

I've heard you can use a USB to boot from that

my problem so far is that i cant get my MBP to boot from CD, because i cant enter BIOS in order to tell it to do that.

can anyone give me any info?

Macbook Pro 13inch from 2009ish

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A couple of things:

1. Macs have no BIOS. To boot from optical disc you hold the Alt/Option or "C" buttons during boot.
    2. USB boot of legacy OSes (Windows) is generally not well supported on the Mac.
    3. How are you burning the ISO?

B

3. simsaladimbamba

Macs don't have a BIOS, they have EFI.

Anyway, to boot from a bootable Windows DVD, you just need to hold down OPTION/ALT right after the startup sound chimes. Then you should be able to boot from that DVD.
    I don't know if you can just upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 like that, maybe MRoogle can find you some threads about this.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

XP to W7 is a custom install, which basically means backup, install, migrate.

IMHO the best approach for W7 over XP is to do a clean install with upgrade media as described at winsupersite.

B

5. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean, the "backup" process needs an external HDD or extra partition to backup to?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes. There is no in-place upgrade path for XP to 7. IIRC you can also burn your data to an optical disc.

B

7. simsaladimbamba

Thanks. Windows 5.1 is ten years old anyway.

8. DevGrousis thread starter macrumors newbie

i used Magic ISO to burn the iso files onto the disk.

when i hear the startup chime and hold down Option, all i get is to choose between Mac OS partition and my Windows partition, there is no option to run from CD.

Do you think it would be easier if i were to get ahold of Windows Vista, install that, then upgrade to 7?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Shouldn't be.

Depending on the source of the ISO, it may not be bootable. So you have a couple of options.

Use the "official" ISO from Microsoft (http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/) and just use your activation key.

If that doesn't work, you should make sure that the CD you burned boots in a regular PC and if so try different media. Superdrives can be picky.

B

10. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Links..

didn't work.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What didn't? There were a bunch of things in the previous message. What failed and how, specifically.

B