Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catch Them

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Hello - I currently have one 2.66 MP from 2007 that i purchased for myself and a few months ago i got a 2.8 specifically for at work and since now i own both and dont need one or the other on the job, id kind o fhate to waste all this great power.

at any rate...the 2.66 has my Windows XP Pro installation on it...i was wondering is it at all illegal, or difficult to (IF i do sell the 2.66 macpro) pull that drive and slap it into the 2.8 MacPro?

im going to make a bootable clone with WinClone before i do this.

so are there any best ways or methods of going about this?

thank you in advanced!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
You'd think it would be easy. I did the exact same thing when transferring my XP partition from my old Macbook Pro into my new Macbook. However, none of the drivers work in XP, and I can't get anything work (wireless, bluetooth, audio, etc.).

Not happy as of right now

Catch Them

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
well i think it might be a tad different between a MBP and MB compared to a MacPro to a MacPro.

with the MBP to MB, i think its probably that removing the old drivers and doing a reinstall of the bootcamp 2.1 drivers

im going to try this in a few weeks when i get back home from vacation.
but from what i understand ... it should work fine should just uninstall the drivers then einstall them after the i put thew cloned drive in and just do the reactivision.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
yeh uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the new drivers you get with your new Mac Pro.

also you can restore a Windows NTFS partition with Disk Utility its just you need to have a ready available clean NTFS formatted partition which you can do natively with Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.