Windows Xp via BootCamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danest, May 29, 2009.

1. danest macrumors member

Hi, I have an iso i downloaded from my Univ, of Windows Xp and when i try to burn the iso with burn i keep getting a "medium write error". Is there something wrong with my cd? i used a memorex cd. Should i try using a DVD-r? Or could there be something wrong with my super drive, I purchased my mac 10 months ago.

2. msevild macrumors regular

Try a different brand of cd's if possible. The error doesn't necessarily mean there is a hardware issue, but if it reproduces with other media or other brands of media, then it could be.

3. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

You have to use a DVD-R or DVD-RW. If you are using a normal CD like your post implies then it won't work.

4. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

The Windows XP iso is a DVD sized one, I would assume that a medium error (medium mean what you're writing too not a size between small and big), comes from having the wrong medium in the drive. Try DVD-R or DVD+R and see but as far as I recall Windows XP is a DVD and so you'll need DVD's to write it to a disk.

5. RealaT macrumors regular

Windows XP has always come on a CD. Unless adding Service Pack 3 has increased the size too much then a CD-R is all you need to burn the iso file.

Windows Vista was the first version to come on DVD

6. danest thread starter macrumors member

the iso is just windows xp pro with service pack 2 it is 600 mb, so it should fit on a cd-r but i will try with a dvd-r

7. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

When does the error occur? Does it happen towards the end of the burn process? Because if so then that means your CD doesn't have enough room to hold it all. When I burned my downloaded iso of vista to a DVD the "file size" increased by .2GB. Ya that isn't a lot but if that .2 is happening in your case then that puts you over the CD limit I believe.

Correct me if I am wrong though.